The fifth U.S. Navy ship named to honor David Glasgow Farragut (5 July 1801-14 August 1870). See David Glasgow Farragut for additional information.
The first Farragut (Torpedo Boat No. 11), was renamed Coast Torpedo Boat No. 5 on 1 August 1918, and served, with some interruptions, from 1899-1919. The second Farragut (Destroyer No. 300), was reclassified to DD-300 on 17 July 1920, and served from 1920-1930. The third Farragut (DD-348) was renamed Smith on 15 July 1933, renamed Farragut on 12 August 1933, and served from 1934-1947. The fourth Farragut, a guided missile frigate (DLG-6), was projected as DL-6 but reclassified on 14 November 1956, reclassified as a guided missile destroyer (DDG-37) on 30 June 1975, and served from 1960-1992.
See Farragut (DDG-99) for the ship’s Command Operations Reports.
(DDG-99: displacement 9,515; length 510'; beam 66'; draft 32'; speed 30+ knots; complement 312; armament 1 5-inch, 2 Mk 41 Vertical Launch System (VLS) for BGM-109 Tomahawks, RIM-156 SM-2MR Standards, and RUM-139 VL-ASROC Antisubmarine Rockets, 1 Mk 15 Close In Weapon System (CIWS), 4 .50 caliber machine guns, and 6 Mk 32 torpedo tubes, aircraft 2 Sikorsky SH-60B Light Airborne Multi-Purpose System (LAMPS) Mk III Seahawks; class Arleigh Burke)
The fifth Farragut (DDG-99) was laid down on 12 August 2003 at Pascagoula, Miss., by Ingalls Shipbuilding Division, Litton Industries; launched on 30 June 2004; sponsored by Senator Susan M. Collins of Maine; and commissioned on 10 June 2006 at Naval Station Mayport, Fla., Cmdr. Deidre L. McLay in command.
Dark Blue and Gold, the colors traditionally associated with the Navy, represent the sea and excellence. Red highlights Adm. Farragut’s valor, loyalty, and fearless leadership while commanding the Western Gulf Blockading Squadron during the Civil War. The pile symbolizes the prow of a ship, suggesting screw sloop-of-war Hartford, Farragut’s flagship. The anchor refers to naval strength and maritime tradition. The enflamed barrel mine signifies the powder-filled kegs anchored in the approaches to Mobile Bay, whose presence prompted Farragut’s famous phrase, “Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!” The cannon suggests the land-based batteries that fought with naval forces as they pressed past to control maritime paths of communication and supply. The pile between the enflamed barrel mine and cannon alludes to Farragut’s bold leadership of his fleet through all the obstacles to enter Mobile Bay, defeating the enemy ships therein. Earlier, Farragut had opened the Battle of New Orleans by steaming up the Mississippi River past Fort Jackson and Fort St. Philip, and positioning his forces near the city of New Orleans to force its surrender. The victory tightened the stranglehold on Confederate logistics and commerce. On the ship’s shield, the chief embattled denotes the strong defenses of the Mississippi River; and the three fleurs-de-lis are adapted from the flag of New Orleans.
The four stars represent the naval rank of admiral, first authorized by Congress for Farragut in recognition of his service and achievements. Farragut became the first officer in the Navy to hold the ranks of rear admiral, vice admiral, and admiral. The four stars also commemorate the four previous ships named Farragut. The bald eagle with shield signifies Farragut’s patriotism and loyalty to the Union during the Civil War and his lifelong fidelity to the naval profession.
The crossed Union Civil War officer’s swords recall Farragut’s perpetual readiness, devotion to duty, and audacity in combat, and support the motto, “Prepared for Battle.''
Eleven pirates in three skiffs attacked Sierra Leone-flagged tanker Evita 310 miles northwest of the Seychelles on 1 April 2010. A Swedish maritime patrol aircraft responded to the tanker’s distress call and located the attackers. A Sikorsky SH-60B Seahawk flying from Farragut monitored the suspects and directed the destroyer to the area, and she intercepted the pirates.
Detailed history under construction.
Mark L. Evans
18 June 2015