(AK: dp. 15,650 (n.); l. 468'4"; b. 56'; dr. 30'6"; s. 13 k.; cpl. 92; a. 1 6", 1 3")
Merchant name retained.
F. J. Luckenbach (Id. No. 2160) a cargo ship, was launched 15 September 1917 by Fore River Shipbuilding Corp., Quincy, Mass.; acquired by the Navy 9 January 1918; and commissioned the same day, Lieutenant Commander W. McLean, USNRF, in command.
Outfitted as an animal transport, F. J. Luckenbach carried horses, mules, and general Army cargo on five voyages to France from New York between 12 February 1918 and 21 February 1919. She was then converted for troop transport duty, and made two voyages to return veterans of the American Expeditionary Force between April and July 1919. Decommissioned 18 August 1919, F. J. Luckenbach was returned to the Shipping Board the same day.