Naval History and Heritage Command

Naval History and Heritage Command

Tags
Related Content
Topic
  • Boats-Ships--Frigate
Document Type
  • Ship History
Wars & Conflicts
File Formats
Location of Archival Materials

Duncan IV (FFG-10) 

1980-1998

The first three ships named Duncan honored Cmdr. Silas Duncan (1788-1834), the fourth Duncan honored Adm. Donald Bradley Duncan, USN (Ret.) (1896-1975).

(FFG-10: displacement 3,936 (full); length 445'; beam 47'; draft 25' (maximum navigational); speed 27+ knots; complement 174; armament 1 76 millimeter, Standard, Harpoon, 6 ASW torpedo tubes; class Oliver Hazard Perry)

The fourth Duncan (FFG-10) was laid down on 29 April 1977 by the Seattle, Wash., division of Todd Shipyards Corp.; launched on 1 March 1978; sponsored by Mrs. Donald B. [Aniela Mateja] Duncan, widow of the late Adm. Duncan; and commissioned at Seattle on 24 May 1980, Cmdr. Ross D. Barker in command.

Decommissioned on 17 December 1994, Duncan was stricken from the Naval Vessel Register on 5 January 1998 and disposed of through the Security Assistance Program (SAP), being acquired by the government of Turkey.

Duncan was awarded five Navy “E” Ribbons during her career, for the periods 1 July 1980-31 December 1981, 1 January 1982-30 June 1983, 1 July 1986-31 December 1987, 1 January 1988-30 June 1989, and 1 July 1989-31 December 1990.

Detailed biography and history pending.

 

Robert J. Cressman
30 January 2018

Published: Wed Jan 31 13:19:49 EST 2018