Skip to main content
Related Content
  • Boats-Ships--Frigate
Document Type
  • Ship History
Wars & Conflicts
File Formats
Location of Archival Materials

Dionne (DE-261)

(DE-261: dp. 1,140; l. 289'5"; b. 35'1"; dr. 8'3"; s. 21 k.; cpl. 156; a. 3 3", 8 dcp., 1 dcp.(hh.), 2 dct.; cl. Evarts)


Arthur Louis Dionne, born 6 June 1915 in Walpole, Mass., enlisted in the Naval Reserve 4 November 1941 and was appointed a Midshipman 9 February 1942. Ensign Dionne was killed aboard Northampton (CA-26) during the Battle of the Solomon Islands on 30 November 1942.

Dionne (DE-261) was launched 10 March 1943 by Boston Navy Yard; sponsored by Mrs. L. A. Dionne, mother of Ensign Dionne; and commissioned 16 July 1943, Lieutenant Commander R. S. Paret, USNR, in command.

Dionne sailed from Boston 7 September 1943 to escort a convoy to Norfolk. She conducted training in the Chesapeake Bay area until 2 October when she got underway for the Pacific. Arriving at Pearl Harbor 26 October she was assigned to night radar picket duty and on 15 November she sortied for the invasion of the Gilbert Islands. Dionne screened a group of tankers serving the ships engaged in this operation until her return to Pearl Harbor 12 January 1944 for repairs.

From 4 February to 1 March 1944 Dionne served in the Marshalls operation, escorting convoys and acting as harbor guard at Kwajalein. After an overhaul at Mare Island from 9 March to 8 April she sailed to Kwajalein and Eniwetok as convoy escort, then returned to Pearl Harbor 10 May to rehearse amphibious landings.

Dionne sailed from Pearl Harbor 1 June 1944 for the invasion of the Marianas. She patrolled by day and screened transports at night, picking up seven Japanese prisoners and a 9-year-old Japanese girl. On 21 June she screened California (BB-44) during her bombardment of Saipan. From 25 June to 16 July she was at Eniwetok to replenish, returning to Guam for a preinvasion bombardment on 20 and 21 July and to provide fire support for the landings of 21 July. Three days later she bombarded Tinian, off which she patrolled until returning to Pearl Harbor 3 September.

On 23 September 1944 Dionne departed for Ulithi carrying garrison forces. She remained there from 8 to 24 October on patrol and local escort duty. After escorting ships to Eniwetok and Saipan, she returned to Pearl Harbor 23 November as screen for Salmon (SS-182), damaged by Japanese depth charges, and Holland (AS-3). Dionne served in antisubmarine warfare exercises and amphibious training in the Hawaiian Islands until 20 January 1945 when she began convoy duty between Pearl Harbor and Eniwetok.

Dionne sailed from Eniwetok 21 February 1945 for Saipan and Iwo Jima, landing her garrison group there 7 March. She patrolled off Iwo Jima until 20 March, then sailed for Pearl Harbor with evacuated combat troops, arriving 4 April. Four days later she got underway for San Francisco and overhaul.

Returning to Pearl Harbor 15 June 1945 Dionne escorted convoys to Eniwetok and Ulithi. On 25 July she departed Ulithi to join the oilers serving the 3d Fleet during their strikes on the Japanese mainland, duty which occupied her until the end of the war. From 4 September she screened oilers fueling ships of the 7th Fleet operating in the Yellow Sea and off Jinsen, Korea. Dionne sailed from Jinsen on 5 October for Pearl Harbor and the west coast, arriving at San Francisco 25 November, where she was decommissioned 18 January 1946. Dionne was sold 12 June 1947.

Dionne received six battle stars for World War II service.

Published: Fri Apr 15 08:33:54 EDT 2016