A city in Michigan.
The sixth U.S. Navy ship to be named Detroit. The first Detroit, a British 12-gun ship, was captured on 10 September 1813, but so badly damaged that she was laid up until sold in 1825. Screw steamer Detroit was laid down at New York Navy Yard in 1865 but canceled in 1866 and broken up on the stocks. Sloop-of-war Canandaigua (q.v.) carried the name Detroit from 15 May–10 August 1869. The third Detroit (Cruiser No. 10) served from 1893–1910. The fourth Detroit, a light cruiser (CL-8), served from 1923–1946. The fifth Detroit, a fast combat support ship (AOE-4), served from 1970–2005.
(LCS-7: displacement 3,450; length 387.6'; beam 57.7'; draft 14.1'; speed 40+ knots; complement 45+ augmentees that can include an aviation detachment, maritime security mission package, and a Coast Guard law enforcement detachment; armament 1 Mk 110 57 millimeter gun, RIM-116 Rolling Airframe Missile (RAM), 2 Mk 44 30 millimeter Bushmaster II guns, and 4 .50 caliber machine guns; aircraft 1 Sikorsky MH-60R/S Seahawk and 1 Northrop Grumman MQ-8B Fire Scout; class Freedom)
The sixth Detroit (LCS-7) was laid down on 8 November 2012 at Marinette, Wisc., by Marinette Marine Corp. (Lockheed Martin); launched on 18 October 2014; sponsored by Mrs. Barbara Levin, wife of Senator Carl M. Levin of Michigan; completed her acceptance trials on 15 July 2016; and was commissioned on 22 October 2016 at the Port of Detroit, Cmdr. Michael P. Desmond in command.
Detailed history pending.
Mark L. Evans
5 February 2018