Naval History and Heritage Command

Naval History and Heritage Command

Related Content
  • Boats-Ships--Frigate
Document Type
  • Ship History
Wars & Conflicts
File Formats
Location of Archival Materials

Daniel T. Griffin (DE-54)

(DE-54: dp. 1,400; l. 306'; b. 37'; dr. 13'6"; s. 24 k.; cpl. 186; a. 3 3", 3 21" tt., 8 dcp., 1 dcp. (hh.), 2 dct.; cl. Buckley)

Daniel Thornburg Griffin, born 25 March 1911 in Allendale, Ill., enlisted in the Navy 6 October 1930 and served continuously until his death during the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor 7 December 1941. Aviation Machinist's Mate First Class Griffin was cited by Commander-in-Chief, Pacific Fleet, for his prompt and efficient action and his utter disregard of personal danger in the defense of Naval Air Station, Kaneohe Bay.

Daniel T. Griffin (DE-54) was launched 25 February 1943 by Bethlehem-Hingham Shipyard, Hingham, Mass.; sponsored by Mrs. D. T. Griffin; and commissioned 9 June 1943, Lieutenant Commander P. M. Fenton, USNR, in command.

After a voyage escorting a convoy to Casablanca, French Morocco between 15 August and 24 September 1943, Daniel T. Griffin took up convoy duty between New York and Northern Ireland, making eight transatlantic voyages between 13 October 1943 and 23 September 1944. She arrived at Staten Island, N.Y., 22 October for conversion to a high-speed transport. She was reclassified APD-38, 23 October 1944.

Sailing from Norfolk 13 January 1945 Daniel T. Griffin arrived at Pearl Harbor 6 February to serve with underwater demolition teams. She cleared 14 February on convoy duty to Ulithi and Kossol Passage, then arrived at San Pedro Bay, Leyte, 5 March for invasion rehearsals off Hononhan Island. On 19 March she got underway for Kerama Retto, arriving on the 26th. During the assault on Okinawa, she screened ships at Kerama Retto and swept mines, delivered explosives to the Okinawa beaches, and then acted as rescue ship until 18 May. On 6 April she fought off several suicide attacks splashing at least two enemy planes. When Morris (DD-417) was hit Daniel T. Griffin protected her against further attack, assisted in putting out her fires, and escorted her into Kerama Retto.

Daniel T. Griffin served on local escort duty at Sai-pan between 20 May and 19 June 1945, then escorted a convoy back to Okinawa, and another from Okinawa to Ulithi. On 11 July she arrived in San Pedro Bay, Leyte, for varied duty in the Philippines until 22 September when she sailed with occupation troops to Kure, Japan, landing her passengers from 6 to 11 October. Returning to Manila 16 October she redeployed troops in the Philippines until 2 December when she sailed for the United States. She called briefly at San Diego, arrived at Norfolk 11 January 1946. and Green Cove Springs, Fla. 4 March. She was placed out of commission in reserve there 30 May 1946.

Daniel T. Griffin received one battle star for World War II service.

Published: Mon Jul 06 12:28:46 EDT 2015