(AM-214: dp. 530; l. 184'6"; b. 33'; dr. 9'9"; s. 15 k.; cpl. 104; a. 1 3"; cl. Admirable)
A steep, rugged rock.
Crag (AM-214), formerly spelled Craig, was launched 21 March 1943 by Tampa Shipbuilding Co., Inc., Tampa, Fla.; sponsored by Mrs. Q. Abercrombie-St. John; completed at Charleston Navy Yard; and commissioned 1 August 1945, Lieutenant G. W. Jarden, USNR, in command. Crag was reclassified MSF-214, 7 February 1955.
Crag served with the Naval Mine Warfare Test Station, Solomons Island, Md., until 17 December 1945 when she sailed upriver to Washington, D.C., for leave and upkeep. On 4 January 1946 she sailed for the west coast arriving at San Pedro 3 February. She remained there until 21 March when she sailed to Hong Kong, calling at Pearl Harbor, Eniwetok, and Guam on her outward bound passage. She swept mines in the East Hainan Straits until 16 June when she cleared Hong Kong, returning to San Francisco 14 August.
Reassigned to the Atlantic Fleet, Crag sailed from San Francisco 4 October 1946 and arrived at Charleston 3 November for overhaul. From 9 February 1947 to 26 May she served at the U.S. Navy Mine Countermeasures Station at Panama City, Fla., and after overhaul, joined in exercises in Chesapeake Bay from 13 October to 28 November. On 2 December she sailed from Charleston and visited New Orleans from 8 to 20 December before reporting to Orange, Tex., 22 December. There Crag was placed out of commission in reserve 19 March 1948.
Crag- received one battle star for World War II service.