Naval History and Heritage Command

Naval History and Heritage Command

Related Content
  • People-Places-Things--Vietnamese
  • Antisubmarine
  • People--African Americans
  • Cruises, Deployments, and Exercises
  • People--Hispanic Americans
Document Type
  • Ship History
Wars & Conflicts
  • Cold War
  • World War I 1917-1918
  • World War II 1939-1945
  • Vietnam Conflict 1962-1975
File Formats
  • Image (gif, jpg, tiff)
Location of Archival Materials

Cochrane (DDG-21)


Edward Lull Cochrane was born on 18 March 1892 to Brig. Gen. Henry C. Cochrane, USMC, and Elizabeth F. L. Cochrane at Mare Island Navy Yard, Calif. After his retirement from the Marine Corps on 10 March 1905, Henry Cochrane moved the family back to his hometown of Chester, Pa. Edward attended Chester High School before entering the University of Pennsylvania. In 1910, he received an appointment to the United States Naval Academy at Annapolis, Md. by the U.S. Representative for the Seventh District of Pennsylvania Thomas S. Butler. 

While at the academy, the young midshipman excelled as a member of the Fencing Team. In addition to serving as the Vice President of the Intercollegiate Fencing Association, Cochrane was the team's manager and Sabre Champion for 1913 and 1914. In his final year at the academy, he was the most proficient in great gun target practice, ordnance or gunnery (1914). An achievement commemorated by having his name engraved on the cup presented annually by the General Society of the Sons of the Revolution. Cochrane graduated with distinction from Annapolis second in a class of 154 and received his commission on 6 June 1914. 

Ens. Cochrane reported to Rhode Island (Battleship No.17) on 20 June 1914. Detached from Rhode Island on 3 January1916, he entered the Postgraduate School at the Naval Academy on 10 January to pursue course work to prepare him for service in the Construction Corps. To advance his education, Cochrane transferred to the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), reporting on 21 September 1916 but had to halt his studies soon after the U.S. entered World War I on 6 April 1917. He reported as an Assistant Naval Constructor in the Hull Division at the Philadelphia [Pa.] Navy Yard on 16 April where he remained until late 1919. He returned to MIT on 3 October 1919 and earned a Master of Science in Naval Architecture in June 1920. 

His education complete, Cochrane returned to the Hull Division at Philadelphia on 21 June 1920. He later transferred to Washington, D.C. to join the Bureau of Construction and Repair Design Division to work on submarines on 3 April 1924. In 1929, Cochrane traveled as the technical advisor with U.S. delegation to the Conference for the on Safety of Life at Sea to London, England. Following his return to the U.S., he worked in submarine construction until 1933. In May 1933, he joined the Scouting Force as Force Constructor for (May 1933–September 1935). Cochrane returned to the Bureau of Construction and Repair, Design Division in September 1935. He served in this capacity for several years with the exception of the three months (3 July-29 September) he attended the Naval War College at Newport, R.I. in 1939. He reported to the Bureau of Construction and Repair on 2 October 1939. 

With war raging in Europe, Cochrane travelled to London, reporting to the American Embassy in London on 22 September 1940, to study battle damage of British ships. Inspired by his observation of the damage, Cochrane saw the need for American anti-submarine ships. His efforts led to the development of destroyer escorts. Detached from duty in London on 14 January 1941, he reported to the Bureau of Ships, to head the Design Division of the Bureau less than a fortnight later, on 25 January. Cochrane accompanied Secretary of the Navy Frank Knox to assess the damage done to Pearl Harbor on December 1941. On 21 November 1942, he received a promotion to the rank of rear admiral and was commissioned Chief of the Bureau of Ships, with additional duty as Coordinator of Shipbuilding for the Naval Establishment, to rank from 1 November He served as the bureau’s chief for the duration of the war. He was relieved of that duty to pending retirement on 1 November 1947. 

After his retirement, Cochrane returned to MIT where he eventually became the Dean of Engineering in addition to Vice President for Industrial and Government Relations. He also continued his public service as a member of multiple governmental, civic and maritime organizations. Cochrane was a member of the panel appointed to investigate the collision between the Italian ocean liner Andrea Doria and the Swedish liner Stockholm (25 July 1956). 

While returning from New York, N.Y. to his home in New Haven, Conn., Admiral Cochrane suffered a heart attack. He died in his home on 14 November 1959 and is interred at Arlington National Cemetery. 

(DDG-21: displacement 4,500; length 440'3"; beam 47'; draft 23'; speed 30 knots; complement 384; armament 2 5-inch, 6 torpedo tubes, surface-to-air missile (TARTAR) system, anti-submarine missile (ASROC) system; class Charles F. Adams

Cochrane (DDG-21) was laid down on 31 July 1961 at Seattle, Wash., by the Puget Sound Bridge and Dock Co.; launched on 18 July 1962; sponsored by Ellen M. Cochrane, and Doris A. Cochrane, the daughters-in-law of Vice Adm. Cochrane; and commissioned on 21 March 1964, Cmdr. Francis W. Benson, Jr. in command. 

After commissioning, Cochrane got under way for her new home port at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii. She spent several months training to get her crew up to speed on her operational and weapons systems (8 June–3 September 1964) before entering Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard for maintenance and repairs (3 September–31 October). She completed her shakedown (2 November–14 December 1964) and remained in port undergoing preparations for her first deployment to the western Pacific. 

Prior to her departure, the destroyer took part in Shot Bravo (6 February 1965) of Operation Sailor Hat with the target ship Atlanta (IX-304) and the Canadian destroyer escort Fraser (DDH.233). To comply with the Nuclear Test Ban Treaty of 1963 that prohibited atmospheric testing, the Department of Defense sought out alternative methods to test the resilience of military equipment against nuclear detonations. Sailor Hat was one such test using nearly 500 tons of conventional explosives. The explosives were stacked in a dome configuration on the shore of Kaho'olawe, Hawaii, at Smuggler Cove. The purpose of the test was to see how well aging and contemporary naval architecture would stand up to high velocity windblast. The ships proved up to the task, suffering no serious damage. 

Cochrane got underway for the South China Sea on 5 March 1965. While en route, she performed a destroyer-to-destroyer replenishment with Renshaw (DD-499), a feat that was rare at the time. Just a few days later in South Vietnam, the Ninth Marine Expeditionary Force landed at Danang as part of the expanding American role in that country's civil war. After arriving off the coast of Vietnam in 22 April 1965, the destroyer spent the next three months operating in support of Carrier Task Force (CTF) 77. On 1 July, Cochrane participated in anti-submarine exercises with Task Group (TG) 70.4 until late September 1965. Afterward she returned to her support role with CTF 77. Upon the completion of her assignment, the ship set a course for Pearl Harbor where she arrived on 1 October.

Cochrane, left, underway with Aludra (AF-55) and Midway (CVA-21) in the South China Sea. 15 May 1965. (Naval History and Heritage Command Photograph NH 104027)
Caption: Cochrane, left, underway with Aludra (AF-55) and Midway (CVA-21) in the South China Sea. 15 May 1965. (Naval History and Heritage Command Photograph NH 104027)

Cochrane began 1966 under restricted availability at Pearl Harbor. During this period she was visited by Rear Adm. Eli T. Reich, Commander of Anti-Submarine Warfare Group Five (11 January) and Brig. Gen. Edward H. deSaussure, USA, Assistant Commander of the 25th Infantry Division (19 January). On 3 March, the destroyer took part in a Hawaii Air Defense exercise as the only representative of the Navy with elements of the Army, Air Force, Marine Corps and the Hawaiian National Guard. While she was back in port, she received a special treat when the entertainer Martha Raye stopped by the ship to visit the crew (7 March 1966). Raye was taking a vacation at Honolulu on her trip home from entertaining troops in South Vietnam. On 13–18 March, Cochrane again served as a recovery ship in the secondary landing zone for Gemini VII (Walter Schirra /Thomas Stafford) that splashed down on 16 March. While serving as a tender, the destroyer played host to several children's choirs that were in Honolulu for the Festival of Choirs (8 April 1966). Following tender availability, she began busily preparing for an operational readiness inspection (ORI) that took place on 11–12 May. Afterward, Cochrane provided support services for Constellation (CVA-64) as she underwent her ORI (18–21 May). On 8 June, the destroyer's galley crew earned the Capt. Edward F. Ney Memorial Award for food-service excellence after receiving a five-star rating from a Navy evaluation team. Cochrane went on to win this award multiple times throughout her lengthy career. 

On 5 July 1966, Cochrane departed Pearl Harbor with Anti-submarine Warfare Group Five for her second deployment to the western Pacific. At Yokosuka, Japan, she joined the Seventh Fleet to transit the Sea of Japan (21–30 July) before setting a course for South East Asia. By mid-August, the destroyer was back on combat duty in the Gulf of Tonkin (12–31 August 1966). During the first week of September, Cochrane provided naval gunnery fire support (NGFS) against enemy assembly points and provided cover fire for supply convoys traveling between Da Nang and Ðong Hà, Vietnam. Throughout the fall and early winter, Cochrane remained at sea providing NGFS in addition to conducting anti-aircraft picket and anti-submarine warfare operations. She participated in Operation Silver Skate (23–27 September) and Storm Cloud (8–9 October), the latter being a joint exercise with the British Royal Navy. While underway, the crew got a boost to morale with a surprise second visit by Martha Raye (27 October 1966). On 13 November, Cochrane was serving as plane guard for Kearsarge (CVS-33) when the carrier reported that a man had gone over her port side. Kearsarge designated the destroyer as the rescue vessel. She leapt into action and plucked AN Thomas E. Graham from the gulf via her whaleboat. Graham was injured and in good condition after spending less than five minutes in the water. Cochrane departed the Gulf of Tonkin 24 November to put into Hong Kong (25–30 November 1966). After a brief stop at Yokosuka (7–8 December), the destroyer set her prow toward home. Cochrane arrived at Pearl Harbor on 16 December to enjoy post-deployment leave and the holiday season. 

On 10 January 1967, Cochrane entered the shipyard at Pearl Harbor for an overhaul lasting until 6 August. During this time, the destroyer hosted the Swedish minelayer Älvsnabben (M.01) (26 February–2 March) and embarked a group of midshipmen for summer training on 12 July. After emerging from the shipyard, the ship assisted destroyer Radford (DD-446) during her ORI (8–9 August) then departed Hawaii for Long Beach, Calif. on 22 August. For the next several weeks, she conducted routine operations, underwent weapons training in the Pacific Missile Range (5–8 September) and made a port call to San Francisco, Calif. (9–11 September 1967) Cochrane returned to Pearl Harbor on 25 September to begin refresher training until 3 November. She underwent a pre-overseas movement inspection (14–15 November) and a Nuclear Weapon Acceptance Inspection (20–21 November) before steaming to the continental U.S. on 24 November to participate in Fleet Exercise 5-67 Blue Lotus (30 November–4 December). Cochrane visited San Diego (5–6 December) and San Francisco (8–10 December) where she welcomed 3,706 civilian visitors on to her decks before steaming for home on 11 December 1967. On 25 December, the ship hosted the crew's families for a traditional Christmas meal and closed out the year with a Nuclear Safety and Security Inspection (28 December 1967). 

After finishing her pre-deployment preparations, Cochrane stood out of Pearl Harbor on 12 February 1968 for the Gulf of Tonkin. Before returning to the combat zone, she moored at Subic Bay (22 February–2 March). The ship was back in the gulf on 4 March. During her first month back in Southeast Asia, Cochrane provided NGFS for the Third Marine Division in I Corps (4–8 and 21–25 March) and the Ninth Republic of Korea Division in the II Corps operations areas. She partnered with the guided missile frigate Reeves (DLG-24) standing by to provide search and rescue services to downed aviators (10–20 March) and participated in commercial shipping interdiction for Operation Sea Dragon (29 March–11 April 1968). She provided NFGS provided again for II Corps, in the area of Phan Thiết, South Vietnam (12–17 April), before leaving the area for Hong Kong on 18 April. After resting for a few days at Hong Kong (20–24 April), Cochrane steamed to Kaohsiung, Taiwan, for upkeep (26 April–3 May 1968). 

On 6 May 1968, the destroyer was off North Vietnam as a plane guard for the carrier Enterprise (CVAN-65). While she was receiving underway replenishment from the fast combat support ship Sacramento (AOE-1), a Douglas A4C Skyhawk (BuNo. 154214), flown by Lt. Cmdr. Paul W. Pain, crashed on approach to Enterprise, 600 yards from Cochrane (7 May 1968). Pain was "waved off" on his first approach to the carrier due to the crowded flight deck. As he circled around for a second attempt, the jet suddenly pitched downward into the sea. Pain reportedly ejected from the aircraft approximately one hundred feet above the water. Witnessing the crash, Cochrane immediately executed an emergency breakaway from Sacramento and proceeded to the crash site, deploying her whaleboat to rescue the flyer. When her sailors reached Pain, he was unconscious. Attempts to resuscitate him, however, proved unsuccessful. The whaleboat transferred his body to Enterprise

Cochrane parted company with Enterprise to conduct anti-submarine warfare training with submarine Pickerel (SS-524) (10–12 May) before returning to NGFS duties for the Third Marines in I Corps (15–26 May 1968). She departed the Gulf of Tonkin for Yokosuka on 30 May. While she was on port (4–12 June), Cochrane embarked a group of midshipmen for a summer cruise (6 June). During a ceremony on the same day, Cmdr. Thomas I. Kolstad, her departing skipper, received the Bronze Star Medal for his services in Southeast Asia. After a quick visit to Subic Bay to replace her gun barrels (18 June 1968), the destroyer rejoined Sea Dragon. On 28 June, she came under enemy fire from a shore battery in the area of Ðồng Hới. Twenty-five enemy rounds landed close off her starboard beam. Cochrane's response proved immediate and fierce, raining 5-inch shells down upon the enemy position and silencing the enemy guns. Spotter aircraft in the area reported secondary explosions in her target area. 

After the excitement near Ðồng Hới, Cochrane shifted her operations further north to support Operation Thor (3–9 July 1968), a concentrated air, land and sea offensive on enemy locations within the Demilitarized Zone (DMZ) and in North Vietnam. At the conclusion of Thor, Cochrane rendezvoused with Constellation for plane guard duty (10–11 July) and used her guns to support the Third Marines (12–15 July). She put into Subic Bay on 17 July for a short break then returned to sea for Tartar missile exercises in the Philippines operations area (22 July 1968). The following day she began serving as an anti-aircraft picket ship in the South China Sea until 3 August. While underway, her visiting midshipmen disembarked on 29 July 1968. She steamed with Intrepid (CVS-11) (4–10 August) before returning to Subic Bay for a few days (13–15 May). As part of the goodwill educational program Operation School House, the destroyer's sailors contributed $230.00 to help provide high school tuition for local teenagers (14 July). Cochrane cast off for home on 16 July, arriving at Pearl Harbor on 29 July 1968. She remained in port for leave, upkeep and maintenance until 30 September. 

NASA once again called upon the battle-hardened destroyer to assist in another manned spacecraft recovery operation. On 8 October 1968, Cochrane was underway as part of Task Force 130 in the secondary recovery landing zone for Apollo 7. This was the first U.S. manned space flight since the deaths of Virgil I. Grissom, Edward H. White and Roger B. Chafee during a pre-launch test for Apollo 1 (27 January 1967). Apollo 7 ended safely when astronauts Walter M. Schirra, Donn F. Eisele and R. Walter Cunningham splashed down in the Pacific on 22 October 1968. For the next few weeks, Cochrane received a tender availability (1–7 November), during which she hosted the British destroyer Fife (D20) (7–8 November) and conducting training operations (18–22 November). She remained in port until 18 December when she returned to sea for the splash down (27 December 1968) of Apollo 8-- the first manned orbit of the Moon -- carried out by Frank Borman, James A. Lovell, and William A. Anders. Nearing the end of the year, Cochrane put in to Pearl Harbor, where she remained until into the New Year. 

In early 1969, Cochrane stayed close to home serving as a tender (24 January–7 February), and conducting various training operations (12 March–19 June). On 1-11 March, she was on station in the mid-Pacific with antisubmarine destroyer Nicholas (DDE-449) during the reentry of Apollo 9. The intended splashdown area was in the Atlantic, but ships deployed along the reentry path for backup recovery if needed. During the mission, James A. McDivitt, David R. Scott, and Russell L. Schweickart, tested the Command/Service Module and the Lunar Module procedures that were critical to landing on the Moon. After the docking, undocking and flight controls systems were tested in Earth orbit, the Command Module Gumdrop splashed down on 13 March 1969 in the Atlantic. On 19 June 1969, Cochrane parted company with friends and family as she once again cast off for the western Pacific. 

While en route to more hostile waters, the ship stopped at Midway Island (22 June), Yokosuka (29 June–2 July) before putting into Sasebo, Japan (5–6 July 1969). During her time in Japan, Cochrane went to sea with carrier Bon Homme Richard (CVA-31) on two occasions (7–14 and15–23 July) in preparation for combat duty. The two ships departed Sasebo for the Gulf of Tonkin on 30 July 1969. Cochrane parted company with Bon Homme Richard after serving as a plane guard (1–2 August) to join the gunline anchored at Danang providing NGFS (2–24 August). During this time, she participated in shelling enemy positions and infiltration routes near Danang and Chu Lai. By 25 August, Cochrane was at Subic Bay for a break in the action until 10 September. She was back on the gunline on 13 September but briefly shifted to the south to provide fire support to U.S. Army Task Force South near Phan Thiet (14–17 September). She returned to Da Nang to support the 1st Marine and 2nd Army of the Republic of Vietnam (ARVN) (20–24 September). Cochrane continued providing NGFS for I Corps and II Corps until 8 October when she departed the area for Subic Bay (11–15 October 1969). After a quick upkeep, she moved to Kaohsiung (17–19 October) to rendezvous with Task Force Seven One (TF) 71 and Constellation. The destroyer operated with TF 71 in the Sea of Japan (20–30 October) the put into Sasebo for upkeep (31 October–7 November). She returned to the Sea of Japan again to steam with Hancock (CVA-19) on 8–14 October and 20–21 October, dividing that time with another stop a Sasebo (15-19 October). Cochrane left the Sea of Japan on 22 October for some rest and recreation at Hong Kong (24 November–1 December) before rejoining Hancock in the Gulf of Tonkin (2–4 December 1969). At the close of her combat operations, the well-travelled destroyer set her sights for home, stopping at Subic Bay (5 December) and Guam (6–8 December) before tying up at Pearl Harbor on 18 December 1969. 

Cochrane began 1970 undergoing upkeep and maintenance until entering the shipyard at Pearl Harbor on 20 February for a well-deserved overhaul. After the overhaul was complete, she dove into post-overhaul refresher training, gunnery exercises and local operations (28 July 1970–2 February 1971). The destroyer's long stay at home ended when she once again underway for western Pacific on 3 February. She stopped at Midway (6 February), Guam (13 February), Subic Bay (16–19 February) and by 21 February she was steaming with carrier Ranger (CVA-61) in the Tonkin Gulf. As Ranger's plane guard, Cochrane witnessed two terrible days for the carrier's aviators. On 24 February 1971, a Grumman A6A Intruder (BuNo. 156994) from VA-145 experienced engine failure shortly after taking off. Lt.Cmdr. William. R. Galbraith (pilot) and Lt. Daskin D. Waters (bombardier/navigator) safely ejected from the aircraft before it crashed into the water. With the assistance of Cochrane, Detachment 1 of Helicopter Combat Support Squadron One was able to retrieve and return the uninjured aviators to Ranger. Three days later a McDonnell Douglas F4J Phantom (BuNo. 155884) from VF-21 lost power in the starboard engine due to an afterburner malfunction after being catapulted off Ranger (27 February).  Lt.(j.g.) Larry G. Lewis (pilot) and Lt. (j.g.) James W. Carroll (radar intercept officer), ejected from the aircraft. Helicopter rescue teams recovered Carroll and returned him to Ranger. The search teams did not find Lewis. 

On 10 March 1971, Cochrane left Vietnam for a few days rest at Singapore, Malaysia (13–19 March). She departed Singapore to operate in the Gulf of Thailand to provide NGFS for allied forces in South Vietnam (24 March–6 April). Cochrane took a break from the combat zone to put into Kaohsiung (9–12 April) and Sasebo (14–20 April 1971). Following her stop at Sasebo, she took part in the Peacetime Airborne Reconnaissance Program (PARPRO) intelligence gathering operation with Hanson (DD-832) in the Sea of Japan (21–24 April). After her reconnaissance assignment, Cochrane then returned to Yokosuka (25 April–4 May). She resumed plane guard duty with Ranger off Vietnam (9–18 May) then moored at Subic Bay (20–26 May). During her next month at sea, Cochrane patrolled the Northernmost Search and Rescue Station (NSAR) to rescue any fliers that were shot down during air operations over North Vietnam (29 May–24 June 1971). She also served as a Positive Identification Radar Advisory Zone (PIRAZ) ship (11–15 June). This entailed identifying and tracking aircraft within the combat zone in addition to locating enemy radar installations. The PIRAZ consisted of several ships transmitting data for analysis to a central location using the Naval Tactical Data System (NTDS). The NTDS would correlate the data to create a single composite view of the aerial battlefield. 

The destroyer departed Tonkin Gulf for Subic Bay (25–27 June) before proceeding to Hong Kong for her crew to enjoy some liberty (29 June–5 May 1971). She returned to Tonkin Gulf to escort the carrier Oriskany (CVA-34) on 7 July. A few days later, the two ships put into Subic Bay on 11 June but both were force out of the port to evade Typhoon Lucy (13–24 July) that was bearing down on Luzon. On 16 July, Cochrane set a course for Townville, Australia (22–29 August) before steaming home via Auckland, New Zealand (2–5 August) and Pago Pago (8 August). She arrived at Pearl Harbor on 13 August and remained in port until 7 October 1971. On 8 October 1971, Cochrane got underway for Alaskan waters to take part in the Cannikin Nuclear Test at Amchitka in the Aleutian Island (13 October–7 November). 

Since atmospheric testing of nuclear devices banned in 1963, the U.S. began testing nuclear weapons underground. The Cannikin Test was one of several tests for Operation Grommet and one of three tests at Amchitka. Its purpose was to test a newly developed warhead for anti-ballistic missiles. Cochrane arrived at Adak, Alaska to begin preparation on 13 October 1971. Her primary mission was to patrol a 30-mile radius around Amchitka incepting and warning vessels approaching the island to stay clear. She began her patrols in the Amchitka Nuclear Test Surveillance Area on 31 October making only one brief return to Adak for fuel on 5 November. The following day, "H" day," the weapon detonated (6 November 1971). Cochrane returned to Adak, and then departed for Hawaii on 7 November, reaching Pearl Harbor on 12 November to be placed on restricted shipyard availability until the end of 1971. 

After a few weeks of local operations, Cochrane entered the shipyard at Pearl Harbor for an engine conversion (18 February–5 May 1972), that allowed her to burn Navy Distillate Fuel. Although the new fuel reduced her range, it drastically reduced the required maintenance to keep her engines in top shape. On 22 May, Cochrane left Pearl Harbor for the first time in six months steaming for San Diego (26–30 May). After embarking 38 midshipmen, including three from Australia, she got underway for Portland, Ore., and proceeding via San Francisco (2–6 June) to take part in the annual Portland Rose Festival (8–11 June 1972). During her stay in Portland, the ship hosted a breakfast for the Rose Festival Queen and her court. As the court departed the ship, each member received a fresh pineapple from Hawaii. She also received over 6,000 visitors during her open house. Cochrane departed Portland on 12 June for Hawaii where she conducted local operations and prepared to return to Southeast Asia (18 June - 30 July 1972). 

By 18 August 1972, Cochrane was back in the Gulf of Tonkin. When the city of Quảng Trị came under attack, the destroyer and her fellow ships on the gunline provided NGFS against the enemy. (20 August–1 September 1972) Typhoon Elsie entered for the gulf, forcing the gunline was to cease operations and maneuver to evade the storm (2 September). On 5 September, she was back in action supporting airstrikes against North Vietnam during Operation Linebacker (9 May–23 October 1972). During Linebacker, she patrolled the area around Hòn La Island surveilling commercial vessels by day and shelling enemy positions by night. Cochrane steamed out of the Tonkin Gulf for Sasebo on 21 September to undergo upkeep and maintenance (25 September–3 October 1972). 

Cochrane spent the last three months of 1972 rotating in and out of the Gulf of Tonkin. On 26 November she suffered minor shrapnel damage from enemy fire. She got a long break from combat putting in to Kaohsiung (6–19 November) for some rest and recreation. While en route back to Tonkin Gulf tragedy struck the ship's company, when STC John D. Rice suffered a heart attack and died. The destroyer put into Da Nang to transfer Rice's remains ashore on 21 November 1972 then departed for duty the following day. She returned to Subic Bay for some repairs to her gun mounts (6–9 December) and return to her station (11 December). On 18 December the U.S. began Operation Linebacker II (18–19 December 1972), also known as the "Christmas Bombings." As usual, the ship was in the thick of the operation until putting into Hong Kong (23–29 December). 

On 1 January 1973, Cochrane drew the fire from an enemy shore battery at Hòn La. The destroyer withdrew at flank speed while knocking out the battery with her aft gun mount. A few weeks later she rendezvoused once again with Ranger for plane guard duty. During night flight operations on 21 January, a Douglas EKA3B Skywarrior (BuNo. 142634) from VAQ-130 lost power on takeoff. The aircraft violently pitched up vertically, then rolled over, then plunged nose first into the water. Cochrane aided in the search for the aircrew, Lt. Cmdr. Charles L. Parker (pilot), Lt. (j.g.) Keith A. Christophersen (copilot/navigator), and AT2 Richard D. Wiehr. The search did not find any survivors. On 23 January 1973, President Richard M. Nixon announced to the American public that a peace agreement had been reach between the U.S. and North Vietnam. Cochrane put into Kaohsiung for upkeep on 26 January. The next day  the Paris Peace Accords that officially instituted a cease fire and began the withdrawal of American forces from Vietnam were signed in Paris, France (27 January 1973). 

After upkeep at Kaohsiung, Cochrane proceed to Okinawa (7–9 February) and Yokosuka (12–17 February 1973). On 17 February she departed Okinawa with other battle weary ships, guided missile cruiser Preble (DLG-15), escort ships Rathburne (DE-1057), and Bronstein (DE-1037) for Midway (22 February) then proceeded to Pearl Harbor (25 February). The destroyer received a joyous welcome home and the crew released for post-deployment leave on 26 February 1973. After the crew returned from leave, Cochrane stayed in port undergoing upkeep and preparing to be overhauled. She entered the shipyard on 4 June 1973, where she remained until 8 March 1974. 

Cochrane took a break from post-overhaul activities to celebrate the tenth anniversary of her commissioning (23 March) with a special guest, Capt. Francis W. Benson Jr., the destroyer's first commanding officer. To mark the occasion, the crew and guests enjoyed a traditional Hawaiian luau with a large roasted pig. Cochrane began Ship Qualification trials (6 May) during which she executed an anti-aircraft exercise (10 May), ASROC and torpedo firing (14 May) followed by a practice Battle Problem (16 May 1974). She departed Pearl Harbor for the Pacific Missile Range on 22 May where she fired two Standard missiles and another anti-aircraft exercise on 23 May. The destroyer returned to Pearl Harbor where she was place on restricted availability undergoing upkeep (24 May 1974). It was during this time that her softball team showed its prowess winning the Pearl Harbor Championship by beating the team from Benjamin Stoddert 7–3 on 9 June. Cochrane began her Refresher Training on 26 June. She put all of her systems through their paces with multiple missile launches, anti-aircraft practice and shore bombardments. The nimble destroyer proved that she was battle-ready during her final Battle Problem on 26 July 1974. Having completed her post-overhaul routine, Cochrane began preparation for deployment in the coming fall. 

On 1 October 1974, Cochrane was underway returning to the western Pacific. Accompanying her were destroyer escorts Knox (DE-1052), Whipple (DE-1062), and Rathburne. After a brief stop at Midway, she joined the Seventh Fleet while underway for Guam (9 October). Cochrane put into Subic Bay on 16 October then enter the shipyard on 19 October to undergo some extensive repair work and maintenance. While she was in port, Typhoon Elaine struck Luzon (28 October 1974). After the storm passed, she put to sea for Singapore with Constellation, sister ship Berkeley (DDG-15), and destroyer escort Stein (DE-1065) on 29 October. The group arrived at Singapore on 4 November 1974 for a four day port call. On 8 November, the formation transited the Strait of Malacca, with the addition of the fast combat support ship Camden (AOE-2), en route to Karachi, Pakistan, for the Central Treaty Organizations (CENTO) Midlink II exercise. The task force dropped anchor in Karachi Harbor on 19 November 1974 in the company of ships from Pakistan, the United Kingdom and Iran. After three days at Karachi, Cochrane weighed anchor and departed for the Persian Gulf with Constellation and Berkeley. On 23 November, she rendezvoused with the combat stores ship San Jose (AFS-7) to take on greatly appreciated stores and fresh provisions. As a curious Soviet Union minesweeper watched from close by, the formation entered the gulf the next day. After a brief cruise through the Persian Gulf, the group again transited the Strait of Hormuz to join Midlink II where Cochrane was assigned to serve as an anti-aircraft picket (27 November). 

Cochrane departed Midlink II on 29 November 1974 for Singapore. She moored at Singapore on 6 December for a ten day stretch of upkeep. On 16 December, the destroyer departed Singapore with Stein for Sattahip, Thailand to participate in the joint U.S.-Thai exercise Sea Siam II (20–21 December 1974). During this exercise, Cochrane operated with Thai frigates Makut Rajakumarn (FF433), Prasae (PF2), and submarine chaser Sarasin (PC1). At the conclusion of the exercise, the destroyer returned to Sattahip for five days. Cochrane and Stein departed Thailand for Subic Bay on 27 December. While en route, the ships encountered heavy weather in the South China Sea that made replenishment while underway a difficult challenge. Two efforts to receive fuel from the oiler Tolovana (AO-64) and ammunition ship Haleakala (AE-25) on 30 December failed. On New Year's Eve 1974, the weather beaten destroyer and her companions entered Subic Bay. 

After three weeks of upkeep and repairs at Subic Bay, Cochrane put out to conduct local operations (21–27 January 1975). On 27 January, she set a course for liberty at Hong Kong (30 January–5 February). Cochrane returned to Subic Bay on 8 February and remained in port until she conducted NFGS and missile exercises at the Tabones Naval Gunfire Range (24 February). After upkeep, the destroyer departed for Manila to participate in Sea Fox (15–24 February 1975), a joint exercise with the Southeast Asia Treaty Organization (SEATO). The operation included ships from the United Kingdom, Thailand and the Philippines. At the conclusion of the exercise, Cochrane put into Manila (27 February–1 March) for shore leave then she returned to Subic Bay for upkeep. 

While Cochrane was at the Philippines, the North Vietnamese Army (NVA) was engaged in a final push against South Vietnam. As the NVA gained ground south of the ­DMZ, members of the ARVN and the civilian population began to flee to the coast and take to the sea to escape the advancing enemy. On 25 March 1975, the U.S. military came to the aid of the South Vietnamese. American air, land and sea forces began helping the refugees by providing transportation to areas still under control of the South Vietnamese government. South Vietnamese leaders determined that the island of Phú Quốc in the Gulf of Thailand was best suited for the operation. 

Cochrane departed for South Vietnam on 5 April 1975 to provide NFGS to cover the evacuation and escort ships carrying the refugees to Phú Quốc. The destroyer maintained a defensive posture off the island for two days while the rescue ships quickly off loaded their frightened passengers. She returned to Subic Bay under the notion she would soon be departing for Pearl Harbor. As the crisis deepened, the destroyer's orders were changed and she got underway for the Vũng Tàu region to provide defensive support for Operation Frequent Wind (29–30 April 1975), the final aerial phase of evacuations as the complete collapse of South Vietnam became imminent. While she was in the area, Cochrane came upon a boat that was adrift carrying 300 refugees. The ship threw the boat a line and towed it to the area where evacuation ships were embarking passengers. While en route, Cochrane provided food, water and medical assistance to the boats occupants. After Saigon fell on 30 April 1975, and her assignment aiding in the evacuation complete, the destroyer put into Subic Bay anticipating the voyage for Pearl Harbor. On 6 May, she departed Subic Bay for Pearl Harbor, escorting merchant ships filled with refugees to Guam. As the convoy approached Guam, the destroyer changed course for her homeport. Cochrane arrived at Pearl Harbor on 16 May 1975. 

Cochrane remained in port for upkeep and maintenance for the majority of June 1975. She was briefly used as a location set for the filming on an episode of the police television drama Hawaii Five-O. The destroyer jumped back into a busy schedule for July. After receiving a visit from Vice Adm. Emmett H. Tidd, Commander of Naval Surface Forces, Pacific Fleet, Cochrane departed Pearl Harbor for the Barking Sands Pacific Missile Range. While at the range on 23 July, she fired one of her Standard Missiles then proceeded to back to Pearl Harbor. On 15 July 1975, the ship embarked the crew's dependents for a cruise to Hilo, Hawaii for the 14th Annual Festival of the Pacific (16–20 July). For ten days in August (19–20 August), the destroyer escorted her former Tokin Gulf companion, Ranger, during a composite unit training exercise. After returning to Pearl Harbor, she was on repair availability for the remainder of August 1975. The rest of the year continued to be comparatively quiet for Cochrane as she continued with upkeep, repairs and local operations. In December, she received an inspection visit from Secretary of the Navy J. William Middendorf and Adm. Maurice F. Weisner, Commander in Chief, Pacific Fleet. After touring the ship, Secretary Middendorf presented the engineering department with the Order of the Golden Snipe Award for Engineering Excellence. Cochrane also welcome the fleet Propulsion Examination Board for an Operational Propulsion Plant Examination (OPPE) during which she received a grade of Conditional Satisfactory. Following her exam, she ended the year undergoing upkeep and the crew enjoying holiday leave. 

For the first few months of 1976, Cochrane remained in port or conducted local operations and training exercise in preparation for another deployment. On 15 May, the ship exited Pearl Harbor for Subic Bay via Midway (18–20 May) and Guam (26 May) arriving at her destination on 31 May. She put out of Subic Bay on 10 June with the carrier Midway (CV-41) and ships from the South Korean Navy, steaming for Busan, Republic of Korea (23 June 1976). On 27 June, Cochrane participated in Operation Cherry Beacon (27 June–2 July 1976), a joint U.S-R.O.K. amphibious exercise. The destroyer departed the Korean Peninsula for Yokosuka on 2 July to undergo 14 days of upkeep. Her sailors celebrated the U.S. 200th birthday while underway to Japan (4 July 1976). Cochrane put to sea on 19 July for Hong Kong but heavy typhoon activity in Philippine Sea forced her to reroute. She stood into Subic Bay on 24 July. She operated out Subic Bay for the rest of July and August, anticipating her departure for Hong Kong on 30 August 1976. 

Once again, Hong Kong would have to wait. Tensions along the DMZ separating North and South Korea had increased in the wake of the “Axe Murder” Incident. The incident involved a poplar tree in the Joint Security Area (JSA) at Panmunjom on the DMZ. Workers trimmed the tree annually because it obstructed the view for United Nations Command lookouts. In 1976, a group of North Korean soldiers turned workers away when they arrived to trim the branches.  The North Koreans claimed the tree had been personally planted and nurtured by the country's leader, Kim Il Sung, and would not allow it to be trimmed. On 18 August 1976, Capt. Arthur G. Bonifas, USA, and 1st Lt. Mark T. Barret, USA, returned with a security team consisting of 11 enlisted from the allied countries and a South Korean officer. Capt. Bonifas died during the ensuing confrontation, and Lt. Barret was suffering from axe wounds.. Barret died while en route to a hospital in Seoul, South Korea. In aftermath, U.S. and Korea forces launched Operation Paul Bunyan on the morning of 21 August 1976. That day all U.S. and South Korean forces were on full alert as a contingent of combined forces entered the JSA to take down the tree. A large team made up of American soldiers, commandos from the Republic of Korea Special Forces and military engineers carrying chainsaws quickly swarmed the compound. The operation, lasting approximately forty-five minutes, cut down the tree without any resistance from the North Koreans. 

With the military forces on the Korean Peninsula poised for all-out war, Cochrane received orders to steam for the Korean Strait on 30 August 1976 to rendezvous with the Midway task group. After several days cruising with the carrier, Typhoon Fran (3–16 September) pushed the task force out of the strait. On 8 September, the destroyer was detached for from Midway and set a course for Sasebo (13–17 September 1976). After Sasebo, she put into Busan (18–21 September) to participate in a joint U.S.-R.O.K. anti-submarine exercise (21–26 September 1976). Cochrane set out for Yokosuka on 26 September. The next day she unexpectedly found herself in middle of storm that was not in the weather forecast. Undeterred, the sturdy destroyer arrived safely at Yokosuka in 28 September 1976. Two days later Cochrane was finally underway for Hong Kong (4-9 October). 

Cochrane departed Hong Kong on 9 October 1976 for Guam, conducting anti-submarine exercises while underway. Upon her arrival (14 October), she began a period of upkeep until departing for Pearl Harbor (27 October) via Midway (2 November). Back at her homeport on 5 November 1976, the destroyer began preparations for overhaul in the upcoming year. On 6 December she was honored again by a second visit from Secretary Middendorf and Adm. Thomas B. Hayward, the new Commander in Chief, Pacific Fleet. Cochrane closed out the year with a Christmas party for her crew at the Ft. Shafter Officer's Club (20 December) and commencing her pre-shipyard conference (21 December 1976). 

In the months leading up to her overhaul, Cochrane continued her preparation for the shipyard while conducting local operations and participating in area exercises. On 17 February 1977, she was underway to take part in Rim of the Pacific (Rimpac) '77 for ten days that included warfare exercises against aircraft, submarines, missiles and ships. In the midst of the exercises one of the destroyer's crew (20 February), MMFA Albert W. French, was diagnosed with acute appendicitis. In order to get the seaman appropriate medical attention, Cochrane was detached to rendezvous with the carrier Coral Sea (CVA-43). A helicopter evacuated French to Coral Sea to undergo emergency surgery on 21 February. The following day, the ship received word that the surgery was a success and the patient was recovering. The chief surgeon for the carrier also expressed congratulations to ship's medical staff for the astute diagnosis and stabilization of the patient prior to his evacuation. After a successful Rimpac, Cochrane returned to Pearl Harbor on 3March 1977. She got underway on 17 March for a joint U.S.-French anti-submarine warfare exercise with submarine Queenfish (SSN-651) along with the French vessels, helicopter carrier Jeanne d'Arc (R97) and destroyer Forbin (D635). On 1 April 1976, the ship moved to the shipyard to begin her overhaul that lasted until 24 March 1978. 

For the remainder of 1978, Cochrane went through the usual post-overhaul paces to ensure that all of her systems were combat ready. Shortly after her departure from the shipyard, the destroyer's sailors enjoyed a dependents’ cruise to Hilo where the ship's company marched in the Merrie Monarch Festival (31 March 1978). She spent 112 days underway conducting refresher training (21 August–15 September), weapons exercises and local operations (27 September–21 November 1978). In late November, Cochrane departed Hawaiian waters, for the first time since her overhaul, steaming for San Diego (24–30 November). After a few days in port, she stood out to take part in Fleetex 1-79 (4–15 December). On 16 December, the destroyer embarked family members for the return cruise for Pearl Harbor. While underway, the dependents observed a gunnery exhibition and replenishment with oiler Kawishiwi (T-AO-143). Cochrane put into Pearl Harbor to begin celebrating the holiday season. On Christmas Day, she again hosted the ship's families with dinner on her decks. On 28 December, she was placed on selective intermediate maintenance availability. 

On 24 January 1979, Cochrane stood out of Pearl Harbor with the frigates Robert B. Peary (FF-1073) and Roark (FF-1053) steaming for the southern Pacific. Six days later she moored at Pago Pago for the first port call of many throughout the region (30–31 January). At her next stop Nuku'Alofa, Tonga, she received the prestigious honor of a royal visited by Crown Prince Saiosi Tupou (3–5 February). She continued for Wellington, New Zealand visiting Noumea, New Caledonia (9–12 February) and Suva, Fiji (15–16 February) along the way. At Suva, the destroyer held a diplomatic reception. Among the many dignitaries in attendance was the Chinese Ambassador to Fiji, Mi Guojun. Cochrane arrived at Wellington on 21 February 1979 for a few days rest before returning to sea for Bluff Harbor, New Zealand (26 February). As she proceeded to Bluff Harbor, the ship engaged in training exercises with aircraft from the Royal New Zealand Air Force (RNZAF). She moored at her destination on 28 February and her crew had the opportunity to experience the local culture. 

Cochrane's next port of call was Sydney, Australia. She docked at the Royal Australian Naval Base at Garden Island on 12 March 1979. Her purpose in Sydney was to participate in the joint exercise JOC-100 LONGEX with the royal navies of Australia and New Zealand in addition to the RNZAF (19-28 March). With the exercise complete, the destroyer returned Sydney (28 March). World Heavyweight Champion Muhammad Ali visited her while in port. Departing Sydney, Cochrane continued her tour in the southern Pacific visiting the Australian cities of Melbourne (5–9 April), Launceston (12–16 April), Albany (21–22 April) and Fremantle (23–27 April 1979), where the ship's sailors participated in the annual Australian and New Zealand Army Corps (ANZAC) Day parade on 25 April. This day honors the servicemen of both countries who fought at Gallipoli, Turkey, during World War I. Toward the end of her deployment, Cochrane made one last port call in the southern Pacific at Jakarta, Indonesia (3–6 May). She then steamed for Pearl Harbor via Subic Bay (10–17 May) for upkeep, Guam (21 May) and Midway (27 May) for fuel. The destroyer entered Pearl Harbor on 30 May 1979 and stayed in port the entire month of June for upkeep and post-deployment leave. For the rest of 1979 Cochrane operated in Hawaiian waters. She participated in Comptuex 4B-79 and Middle of the Pacific exercises during 23–31 July. She underwent a Board of Inspection and Survey (20-24 August) before beginning a six-week period of restricted availability. Returning to duty on 23 October, Cochrane put out for sea trials (23–28 October). On 1 November, the destroyer hosted the visiting Italian frigate Lupo (F564). She spent the majority of November and December going through her interim refresher training until beginning holiday leave on 15 December 1979. 

The ship spent the early months of 1980 operating out of Pearl Harbor. In March, she went sea for Rimpac '80 (2-14 March) and again in May for Comptuex 4A-80 (6–9 May). The rest of the time, if she was not in port, she was steaming independently conducting evacuation command centers drills. On June 16, Cochrane departed Pearl Harbor for San Diego to receive a tender availability (23 June–8 July 1980) alongside destroyer tender Samuel Gompers (AD-37). She took part in READIEX 3A-80 (9–19 July) before transiting back to Pearl Harbor (21–27 July). For the next month, her sailors focused on readying her for another overseas deployment (28 July–28 August 1980). Cochrane began the voyage to the Philippines on 2 August with combat stores ship Niagara Falls (AFS-3). The two companions put into Subic Bay on 11 September. The ship remained in port for upkeep until getting underway for Singapore on 30 September. 

While she was steaming to Malaysia, Cochrane encountered the product of an ongoing humanitarian crisis on the Indochinese Peninsula. Since the fall of Saigon (Ho Chi Minh City), the Khmer Rouge establishment of Kampuchea (Cambodia), and other events, refugees were streaming out of Mainland Southeast Asia to flee hunger, political retribution and genocide. On 1–2 October 1980, Cochrane came across two boats carrying 146 Vietnamese. The destroyer embarked the refugees, provided them aid and comfort while continuing to Singapore. With her passengers disembarked and her fuel replenished, Cochrane departed Singapore for the Indian Ocean (14–12 October). When she arrived on station, Cochrane spent the next several weeks conducting operations with the Midway, Ranger, and Dwight D. Eisenhower (CVN-69) carrier battle groups (13 October–7 December). She detached from the carrier operations on 8 December and set a course for Port Louis, Mauritius. After a few days off at Port Louis (15–19 December), the ship threw lines to steam for Diego Garcia where she received a tender availability alongside repair ship Jason (AR-8) for the rest of the year (24–31 December 1980).

Cochrane underway, 29 May 1981. (U.S. Navy Photograph 330-CFD-DN-SC-86-08827, PH3 Estep, National Archives and Records Administration, Still Pictures Division, College Park, Md.)
Caption: Cochrane underway, 29 May 1981. (U.S. Navy Photograph 330-CFD-DN-SC-86-08827, PH3 Estep, National Archives and Records Administration, Still Pictures Division, College Park, Md.)

On 2 January 1981, Cochrane was back in the Indian Ocean steaming with the Independence (CV-62) Battle Group. She was detached on 16 January to begin the first leg of her long voyage home. She stopped for a couple of days of shore leave at Phattaya, Thailand (19–22 January) before visiting Hong Kong (28 January–1 February). After Hong Kong, the destroyer moored at Subic Bay for upkeep (5–14 February 1981). She began the final leg of the journey on 15 February stopping only for fuel at Guam (18 February) and Kwajalein (22 February) before arriving at Pearl Harbor on 1 March 1981. For the next four months, the destroyer prepared for an overhaul and conducted local area operations. She entered the shipyard at Pearl Harbor on 29 June to commence the overhaul that continued for the duration of 1981. Cochrane emerged from the shipyard on 28 June 1982 then spent the rest of the year undergoing refresher training, weapons qualifications and operations exercises. On 18 December, at the close of a very busy year, the ship entered an upkeep period and leave for the holidays. 

Cochrane completed upkeep on 8 February 1983 and got underway for the eastern Pacific the following day. When she arrived in the Southern California Operation Area, the destroyer took part in Comptuex 83-3 (19–20 February) before putting into San Diego (21 February). During the first ten days of March, Cochrane took part in Readiex 83-3 and a missile exercise before steaming for Pearl Harbor on 14 March 1983. Back in Hawaiian waters, the ship continued her routine operations, training and exercises. In September, Cochrane began preparing to transition to her new homeport at Yokosuka to join Seventh Fleet Battle Group Alpha with Midway. She departed Pearl Harbor on 29 September, arriving at her destination on 10 October 1983. After a few weeks of upkeep, the ship got underway for operations for the first time with her new battle group. While steaming for Subic Bay, the ship completed NGFS requalification. Following a brief stay in the Philippines (15–18 November), the group then proceeded to Hong Kong for a four day port call (24–28 November) before returning to Yokosuka on 10 December 1983. There was little time for rest as the battle group prepared for deployment to the North Arabia Sea. As the Iraq-Iran War raged, both countries had increasingly threatened commercial shipping and oil production facilities in the Persian Gulf. To insure that the shipping lanes remained unfettered, the U.S. began deploying military forces into the region to take part in the "The Tanker Wars" (1980–1988). It was into this environment that Cochrane and Battle Group Alpha were steaming when they stood out of Yokosuka on 28 December 1983.

Cochrane underway, 1 March 1984. (U.S. Navy Photograph 330-CFD-DN-ST-86-07483, National Archives and Records Administration, Still Pictures Branch, College Park, Md.)
Caption: Cochrane underway, 1 March 1984. (U.S. Navy Photograph 330-CFD-DN-ST-86-07483, National Archives and Records Administration, Still Pictures Branch, College Park, Md.)

The battle group entered the Indian Ocean to begin support of North Arabian Sea operations on 5 January 1984 and remained on station until 22 April. Detached from the support role, the formation moved to Phuket, Thailand for a port call (23–28 April). Steaming homeward, the destroyer visited Singapore (1–2 May) before standing into Yokosuka on 15 May 1984. Back in Japan, she began a long series of post deployment inspections, maintenance and upkeep. On 12 July, Cochrane was at Chinhae, South Korea, for maintenance to her hull and sonar dome (12–17 July). Before returning to Yokosuka, the ship stopped at Kure, Japan (19–21 July) for an engine inspection. Starting in the late summer, Cochrane returned to a more normal schedule conducting local operations, training and gunnery exercises. On 8–10 October 1984, she put to sea to provide an emergency medical evacuation for a member of the crew of the salvage and rescue ship Beaufort (ATS-2). With the exception of a moving to Subic Bay for Fleetex 85-1 (4 November–4 December), Cochrane was not at sea for any extended period for the remainder of 1984. She ended the year at Yokosuka undergoing upkeep. 

After several weeks operating locally, Cochrane left Yokosuka for upkeep at Subic Bay (16–22 February 1985) before making a port call to Hong Kong with Midway (8–13 March). She departed with the carrier group on 14 March for the waters off the Korean Peninsula to participate in the annual joint U.S.-R.O.K. exercise Team Spirit '85. On 20 March, a USAF McDonnell Douglas F-15A Eagle (74-120), flown by Col. Pat R. Paxton, from the 43rd Tactical Fighter Squadron, crashed into the Yellow Sea near Kunsan Airbase, South Korea. A search for the pilot was launched that involved multiple aircraft and ships, including Cochrane. The destroyer recovered some of the crash debris, while other units found Paxton's body. Returning to Yokosuka on 28 March 1985, the ship returned to her schedule of local operations, maintenance and training. She accompanied Midway to Subic Bay for upkeep (19–23 June) then moved to Diego Garcia for tender availability (7–12 July) with destroyer tender Sierra (AD-18). Cochrane returned to the North Arabia Sea to join the continued effort to protecting ships exiting the Strait of Hormuz (13 July – 2 September 1985). She was involved in another rescue effort on 17 August. An E2C Hawkeye (BuNo. 161094) of VAW-115 crashed in the water after missing the arresting wires while attempting to land on Midway. In a concerted effort, Cochrane and the destroyer Towers (DDG-9) recovered three of the five-man aircrew. Unfortunately, the remaining crewmembers, Lt.(j.g.) Kevin R. Kuhnigk, USNR and Ens. Christopher Sims, USNR, were not found. The destroyer departed the North Arabian Sea on 2 September for a port visit at Freemantle, Australia (13–18 September) before mooring at Subic Bay (1 October 1985). Cochrane returned to her homeport on 15 October. The ship did not get underway again until steaming for another port call at Hong Kong (27 November–1 December) with Battle Group Alpha. While the group was en route back to Japan, the ships participated in Exercise Busy Observer with USAF Boeing B-52 Stratofortresses (7–9 December). The destroyer transited the Uraga Channel into Tokyo Bay and moored at Yokosuka in time for the holiday season on 13 December 1985.

Cochrane underway in the Strait of Makassar, 28 September 1985. (U.S. Navy Photograph 330-CFD-DN-ST-86-00697, National Archives and Records Administration, Still Pictures Branch, College Park, Md.)
Caption: Cochrane underway in the Strait of Makassar, 28 September 1985. (U.S. Navy Photograph 330-CFD-DN-ST-86-00697, National Archives and Records Administration, Still Pictures Branch, College Park, Md.)

For the following year (1986), Cochrane operated in the Sea of Japan, the Philippine Sea and the East China Sea with Battle Group Alpha. She was placed on restricted availability in the spring (17 February–13 April). The ship frequently returned to Subic Bay, Chinhae and Busan. On two separate occasions (9-17 and 23-28 September), the destroyer steamed with the venerable battleship New Jersey (BB-62) Battle Group in the East China Sea. At the end of the year, Cochrane began the Christmas season with a party for local children on 6 December 1986. As part of the seasonal celebration, the destroyer held an official Christmas party on 13 December, that included a softball game, with the crew of her Japanese sister destroyer Shirayuki (DD-123). The two crews also exchanged gifts on 23 December 1986. 

Cochrane began 1987 with a brief period of upkeep at Yokosuka (1–8 January) before returning to local operations until early summer. After mooring at Singapore (11–18 June), the destroyer set a course to return to the North Arabian Sea to participate in Operation Earnest Will (24 July–26 September 1987). Since her last deployment to the region, the Iraq-Iran War continued to threaten the safety of commercial vessels operating in the Persian Gulf and the Strait of Hormuz. The Purpose of Earnest Will was to protect Kuwaiti owned oil tankers.  To ensure safe passage, the Kuwaiti ships steamed under U.S. colors and American warships provided escort. The operation also involved Navy, Army and Air Force special operations assets. Cochrane arrived on station on 1 July and engaged in the operations until departing on 26 August 1987. Before beginning the long haul to Japan, the crew had the opportunity to enjoy Phuket for a few days (2–5 September). The ship stood out of Phuket for Japan on 6 September, stopping at Singapore (7–9 September) and Subic Bay (14–21 September) along the way. Cochrane arrived at Yokosuka on 28 September and stayed in port through 4 November 1987. In November, the ship visited Busan (10–14 November), Sasebo (16–19 November) and Hong Kong (24–27 November). On the return voyage, the destroyer stopped at Subic Bay for upkeep (1–13 December) then closed out the year back at her homeport (19–31 December 1987). 

On 12 February 1988, Cochrane departed Japanese waters for Subic Bay (16–22 February) en route to participate in the joint U.S.-Thai anti-submarine Exercise Sea Siam. After returning to Yokosuka, she entered the shipyard on 8 March to begin an overhaul that lasted until 3 August. Following the overhaul, the destroyer underwent post-overhaul sea trials and training in the local operations area (4 August–30 October 1988). During this period, she made port calls to Chinhae (17–19 October) and Busan (25–28 October). Cochrane put into Singapore on 16 November, before proceeding to Brunei to take part in Exercise Kingfisher (20–22 November). The ship ended her time at sea for the year when she returned to Yokosuka on 20 December 1988. 

For the first two months of 1989, Cochrane was engaged in local operations, training and an operational propulsion plant examination (15–16 February). On 6 March, she put into Busan to take part in Operation Team Spirit '89 (7–27 March). When the operation concluded, the destroyer proceeded to Hong Kong for rest and recreation (28 March–2 April). After Hong Kong, she put into Sasebo (6 April), where she embarked dependents of the crew for a Tiger Cruise back to Yokosuka. During the next few months, Cochrane operated near Japan until 24 June when she set a course to visit Pattaya Beach, Thailand (30 June–4 July) with her entire battle group. Upon her return to Yokosuka on 25 July, the destroyer began preparations to deploy with her battle group to the Indian Ocean on 8 September 1989. During her deployment, the ship made port calls to Mombasa, Kenya (17–20 October), Diego Garcia (29–31 October) and Geraldton, Australia (10–16 November). Cochrane put out of Geraldton for Subic Bay on 17 November 1989. She conducted operations out of Subic Bay (30 November–6 December) before returning to Yokosuka on 10 December and placed on post deployment stand down (11–31 December 1989). 

After several weeks of upkeep, Cochrane departed Yokosuka on 24 February 1990 for Pohang, South Korea to attend pre-exercise conferences for Team Spirit '90 (5 March). The destroyer then put out the next day with Battle Group Charlie for the duration of the exercise. Following Team Spirit '90 (6–18 March), she moored at Busan (18–21 March) before proceeding with Battle Group Alpha for a port call at Hong Kong (26–31 March 1990). After Hong Kong, Cochrane moved to Subic Bay (2–15 April) for NGFS training on 15 April after which she moored at Dumaguete, Philippines (16–18 April). During her time at Dumaguete, the crew helped the local population by painting a school, renovating a park and distributing humanitarian supplies. She briefly returned to Subic Bay (24 April) then stood into Yokosuka on 30 April for upkeep. On 12 June 1990, Cochrane got underway for a Board of Inspection and Survey review. Although slated to begin deactivation on 2 July the well-traveled destroyer was found by the board to be still in top shape and fit for duty. Cochrane, along with Battle Group Alpha, was awarded the Meritorious Unit Commendation for service in the Indian Ocean during 1989 three days before being decommissioned on 1 October 1990.

Cochrane, in front, with fellow decommissioned Charles F. Adams class guided missile destroyers, (left to right) Henry B. Wilson, Joseph Strauss and Hoel at Pearl Harbor, 1 June 1991. (OS2 John Bouvia, U.S. Navy Photograph 330-CFD-DN-SC-92-02885, National Archives and Records Administration, Still Pictures Division, College Park, Md.)
Caption: Cochrane, in front, with fellow decommissioned Charles F. Adams class guided missile destroyers, (left to right) Henry B. Wilson, Joseph Strauss and Hoel at Pearl Harbor, 1 June 1991. (OS2 John Bouvia, U.S. Navy Photograph 330-CFD-DN-SC-92-02885, National Archives and Records Administration, Still Pictures Division, College Park, Md.)

Ex-Cochrane was then moved to the Naval Inactive Ship Maintenance Facility at Pearl Harbor. She was stricken from the Naval Vessel Register on 20 November 1992 and later sold for scrap to the International Shipbreaking, Inc., of Brownsville, Texas. 

Commanding Officers Date Assumed Command
Cmdr. Francis W. Benson, Jr. 21 March 1964
Cmdr. James J. Shanahan, Jr.    25 July 1965
Cmdr. Thomas I. Kolstad 19 January 1967
Cmdr. John F. Adams 8 June 1968
Cmdr. Stephen J. Hostetter 17 February 1970
Cmdr. William C. Neel 25 September 1971
Cmdr. Robert K. U. Kihune 30 January 1972
Cmdr. Joseph E. Boland, Jr. 12 June 1973
Cmdr. Michael G. Clarity 19 September 1975
Cmdr. Mack C. Gaston 18 October 1977
Cmdr. Ronald D. Tucker 22 October 1979
Cmdr. James F. Shanahan, Jr. 15 November 1981
Cmdr. Dennis C. Blair, Jr. 9 January 1984
Cmdr. William J. McCarthy, IV 22 May 1986
Cmdr. James W. Stratton 23 April 1988

John W Watts Jr.
9 September 2017

Published: Wed Sep 27 09:18:28 EDT 2017