The second U.S. Navy ship named Chinook, and the first specifically for the warm dry wind that blows down the east of the Rocky Mountains at the end of winter. The first Chinook (S. P. No. 644) served briefly from 1917–1918, but retained the name she carried at the time of her acquisition.
See Chinook (PC-9) for the ship’s Command Operations Reports.
(PC-9: displacement 334; length 178'; beam 25'; draft 8'; speed 32 knots; complement 30; armament 2 25 millimeter, 2 40 millimeter grenade launchers, 2 .50 caliber machine guns, and 2 7.62 millimeter machine guns; class Cyclone)
The second Chinook (PC-9) was laid down on 16 June 1993 at Lockport, La., by Bollinger Machine Shop and Shipyard; launched on 26 February 1994; sponsored by Mrs. Sandra K. Saville; and commissioned on 28 January 1995 at St. Augustine, Fla., Lt. Brian D. Petersen in command.
Detailed history under construction.
Mark L. Evans
6 August 2015