The fourth U.S. Navy ship named for the city in Illinois. The first Chicago, a protected cruiser, was reclassified to a heavy cruiser (CA-14) on 17 July 1920, renamed Alton on 16 July 1928 and reclassified to a miscellaneous auxiliary (IX-5), and served (with brief interruptions) from 1889–1936. The second Chicago, a heavy cruiser (CA-29), served from 1931–1943. The third Chicago, also a heavy cruiser (CA-136), was reclassified to a guided missile cruiser (CG-11) on 1 November 1958, and served (with a brief interruption) from 1945–1984.
See Chicago (SSN-721) for her Command Operations Reports.
(SSN-721: displacement 6,162; length 362'; beam 33'; draft 31'; speed 25 knots; complement 110; armament UGM-109 Tomahawk cruise missiles, UGM-84 Harpoon anti-ship missiles, and Mk 48 torpedoes -- four torpedo tubes; class Los Angeles)
The fourth Chicago (SSN-721) was laid down on 5 January 1983 at Newport News Shipbuilding & Dry Dock Co., Newport News, Va.; launched on 13 October 1984; sponsored by Mrs. Vicki A. Paisley, wife of Assistant Secretary of the Navy (Research, Engineering and Systems) Melvyn R. Paisley; and commissioned on 27 September 1986 at Norfolk, Va., Cmdr. Robert B. Avery in command.
Detailed history under construction.
Mark L. Evans
13 August 2015