The first U.S. Navy ship named for the capital of Wyoming.
(Tug: displacement 76; length 96'10"; beam 23'3"; draft 9'6"; speed 11 knots)
The first Cheyenne, a converted tug, was launched in 1885 by Sam Paegnall, Charleston, S.C.; acquired on 8 July 1898 as Bristol and renamed Cheyenne; outfitted at Charleston Navy Yard; commissioned on 30 July 1898, Lt. G. H. Swan in command; and reported to the Auxiliary Naval Force.
Cheyene sailed from Charleston on 30 July 1898 and proceeded to Key West, Fla., for duty off the Florida coast supporting the blockade of the Spanish forces in Cuba until 18 August, when she cleared for Port Royal, S.C., arriving on 21 August. The tug was decommissioned there on 29 August 1898, and sold on 14 November 1900.