(AK: dp. 4,266; l. 415'; b. 54'; dr. 23'6"; s. 12k.; cpl. 70; a. 1 4", 1 3")
A bay on the coast of Maine.
The second Casco was built in 1910 by Flensburger Schiffbauges, Flensburg, Germany, as Elmshom; acquired by the Navy 7 January 1918 on a bare boat charter from the Shipping Board; converted at New York Navy Yard prior to formal acquisition; commissioned 8 January 1918, Lieutenant Commander C. E. Beveridge, USNRF, in command; and reported to the Naval Overseas Transportation Service.
Operated first for Army account, and later for Shipping Board account, Casco carried Army cargo in four voyages from New York to France between 20 January and 4 December 1918. This support of the American Expeditionary Force and the Army of Occupation continued with her last voyage in January 1919, from New York to Lisbon, Portugal, carrying general cargo and Red Cross supplies. Returning to New York 3 March, Casco was decommissioned 22 March 1919 and returned to the Shipping Board.