(DE-9: dp. 1,140; l. 289'5"; b. 35'1"; dr. 8'3"; s. 21 k.; cpl. 156; a. 3'3", 8 dcp., 1 dcp. (hh.), 2 dct.; cl. Evarts)
Born in Virginia, Minn., 17 April 1899, Daniel William Carlson enlisted in the Navy 1 July 1920. After almost continuous sea duty he was appointed Chief Machinist's Mate 5 July 1935. Carlson was awarded the Silver Star posthumously for heroic self-sacrifice in aiding his shipmates when Hammann (DD-412) was torpedoed in the Battle of Midway 6 June 1942. He lost his life as a result of an underwater explosion after he himself finally left his ship.
Carlson (DE-9), originally scheduled for transfer to Britain as BDE-9, was launched 10 May 1943 by Boston Navy Yard; sponsored by Mrs. D. W. Carlson; and commissioned 10 May 1943, Lieutenant H. E. Purdy, USNR, in command.
Carlson sailed from Norfolk, Va., 23 July 1943 for Espiritu Santo, where she arrived 31 August. For 7 months she was at sea almost constantly, aiding in the Guadalcanal and northern Solomons operations with convoy escort and antisubmarine patrol services. Returning to San Francisco for overhaul in May 1944, Carlson trained with submarines and acted as target ship and plane guard for aircraft in the Hawaiian area from June through September 1944.
The escort vessel arrived at Eniwetok 6 October 1944 to begin escort duty between that atoll and Ulithi, guarding convoys composed mainly of tankers. She thus effectively contributed to the success of operations in the Philippines, and later, at Two Jima, until 21 March 1945, when she sailed from Ulithi for Leyte. Here she was assigned to the screen of the Southern Attack Force for the assault on Okinawa.
Carlson's task unit arrived off Okinawa to launch the initial assault waves on the morning of 1 April 1945. During that day, and the five that followed, she conducted antisubmarine patrol during the daylight hours, and retired to seaward guarding the transports at night. From 6 to 17 April, she sailed to Saipan and back, escorting transports and cargo ships with reinforcements, then took up a screening station between Okinawa and Kerama Retto. On her first night an enemy plane launched a torpedo which passed harmlessly under Carlson's bow. Three more times during the next two weeks enemy planes were driven off by the escort vessel's skilled gunners. After another voyage to Saipan, Carlson screened on various stations off Okinawa, during this period of heavy kamikaze attacks.
Clearing Okinawa 29 June 1945, she sailed to Leyte to join the screen for the replenishment group serving TF 38. With this group she aided the Third Fleet in maintaining a constant offensive on Japan proper through the close of the war. On 16 September, she got underway for San Pedro, Calif., where she was decommissioned 10 December 1945. Carlson was sold 17 October 1946.
Carlson received two battle stars for World War II service.