A Native American tribe belonging to the Illinois confederacy.
(AT-61: displacement 510; length 141'; beam 27'7"; draft 10'7")
The first Cahokia (AT-61) was built in 1920 by Providence Engineering Corp., City Island, N.Y.; transferred to the Navy from the Coast Guard 14 May 1936; and commissioned on 6 November 1936, Chief Boatswain W. C. Kasmire in command. She was reclassified as a harbor tug, YT-135, on 1 January 1938.
Assigned to duty in the Twelfth Naval District, Cahokia operated as a harbor tug at the Mare Island Navy Yard, Vallejo, Calif; reclassified as a harbor tug (big) YTB-135, on 13 April 1944, she was then placed in service. She was transferred to the Maritime Commission for disposal on 8 August 1947.
Updated, Robert J. Cressman
5 October 2021