A seaport city located on the southeast coast of Georgia.
The fourth U.S. Navy ship named Brunswick. The first Brunswick (Light Vessel No. 84), was completed in 1907 and apparently operated under the U.S. Navy but was never formally commissioned from 1918-1919, resumed her civil career, was acquired by the U.S. Coast Guard in 1939, designated as WAL-509 in February 1942, served as a relief lightship, 1954-1965, decommissioned on 26 October 1965, donated on 7 August 1968 to the Harry Lundeberg School, Seafarer’s International Union, Piney Point, Md., which renamed her Big Red, and sold in 1987 and towed to New York, where she was fitted out as a floating restaurant. The second Brunswick, a patrol escort (PF-68), served from 1944-1947. The third Brunswick, a salvage tug (ATS-3), served from 1972-1996, and was then transferred to the Republic of Korean Navy and renamed Gwangyang (ATS.28).[RC1]
(JHSV-6: displacement 2,460; length 338'; beam 93'; draft 13'; speed 21 knots; complement 22, troop capacity 312; armament 4 .50 caliber machine guns, aircraft, up to two Sikorsky MH-60 Seahawks; class Spearhead)
The fourth Brunswick (JHSV-6) was laid down on 2 December 2014 at Mobile, Ala., by Austal; christened on 9 May 2015; sponsored by Ms. Alma Booterbaugh, Office Manager and Scheduler for Secretary of the Navy Raymond E. Mabus Jr.; and is scheduled to be placed in service on 1 October 2015.
The Military Sealift Command will operate the joint high speed vessel, which can embark a company of marines or soldiers. Brunswick has a flight deck for helicopter operations, and a loading ramp to enable vehicles to quickly drive on and off the ship. The ramp is designed to accommodate the limited piers and quay walls often encountered in developing countries.
Detailed history under construction.
Mark L. Evans
12 May 2015