Aulick I (Destroyer No. 258)
(Destroyer No. 258: dp. 1,308; l. 314'4'/2"; b. 30'll'/2"; dr. 9'4"; s. 35 k.; cpl. 122; a. 4 4", 1 3", 12 21" tt; cl. Clemson)
John H. Aulick, born in 1787 at Winchester, Va., was appointed a midshipman on 15 November 1809. During the War of 1812, he served in Enterprise and took part in her battle with HMS Boxer on 4 September 1813. After that engagement ended in a glorious American victory, Aulick served as prize master of the prize. Following the war, he served in Saranac, Ontario, Brandywine, Constitution, and Vincennes.
From 1851 to 1853, Aulick commanded the East India Squadron but was forced by ill health to give up command of the projected Japanese expedition to Commodore Matthew C. Perry. Aulick retired in 1861 and died at Washington, D.C., on 27 April 1873.
Aulick (Destroyer No. 258) was laid down on 3 December 1918 by the Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corp., Quincy, Mass.; launched on 11 April 1919; sponsored by Mrs. Phillip J. Willett; and commissioned at the New York Navy Yard on 26 July 1919, Lt. Comdr. Lee P. Johnson in command.
Following her shakedown cruise, Aulick proceeded to the west coast where she joined Destroyer Flotilla 10 of the Pacific Fleet. While operating along the California coast, the vessel was given the designation DD-258 on 17 July 1920. Aulick continued to carry out routine fleet duties until she was decommissioned on 27 May 1922 at the Mare Island Navy Yard.
After over 17 years laid up in reserve, the destroyer was recommissioned on 18 June 1939 at San Diego, Calif. Upon her reactivation, Aulick returned to the east coast where she served until the fall of 1940. On 8 October 1940, Aulick was decommissioned at Halifax, Nova Scotia, and transferred to the British under the agreement with the United Kingdom exchanging American destroyers for bases in the Atlantic. Her name was struck from the Navy list on 8 December 1941.
Renamed HMS Burnham, the destroyer began escort duties with the British Navy in December 1940. In early 1941, Burnham began a series of escort voyages between Iceland and Newfoundland. Throughout 1942 and 1943, Burnham worked mainly between Newfoundland and Londonderry, Northern Ireland. In 1944, she was used on aircraft training duties in the Western Approaches Command. Burnham was reduced to reserve at Milford Haven, Wales, in November 1944. She was ultimately scrapped at Pembroke, England, in December 1948.