Naval History and Heritage Command

Naval History and Heritage Command

Related Content
  • Boats-Ships--Support Ships
Document Type
  • Ship History
Wars & Conflicts
File Formats
  • Image (gif, jpg, tiff)
Location of Archival Materials

Image related to Audubon
Caption: Audubon (APA-149) anchored at San Francisco, September 1945. Note that it appears that some of her 40-millimeter battery has been removed by that stage in her career. (NH 78170)

(APA-149: dp. 14,837; 1. 455'; b. 62'; dr. 24'; s. 17.7 k.; cpl. 536; a. 1 5", 8 40mm., 10 20mm.; cl. Haskell; T. VC2-S-AP5)


A county in western Iowa named for the great American naturalist and artist who won worldwide renown for his paintings of birds and animals.

Audubon (MCV hull 814) was laid down on 21 October 1944 by the Kaiser Co., Inc., Vancouver, Wash.; launched on 3 December 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Fons Hughes; acquired by the Navy on 19 December 1944; designated APA-149; and commissioned on 20 December 1944, Capt. J. F. Goodwin in command.

Following shakedown at San Pedro, Calif., the attack cargo ship sailed on 24 February for Pearl Harbor. Upon her arrival, her passengers disembarked, and she began loading more cargo. The attack transport got underway for Eniwetok on 29 March, reached that atoll on 6 April, and continued on to Ulithi on the llth. There, Audubon took Army passengers and equipment on board and sailed for Okinawa. She anchored off Hagushi Beach, on 26 April and began discharging her passengers and cargo.

Audubon departed Okinawa on 30 April and headed for Saipan. After a brief stop there, the ship got underway for Hawaii. Having topped off her fuel and provisions at Pearl Harbor, she sailed on to San Francisco, where she arrived on 22 May. The ship was next ordered to Leyte, Philippines. She made intermediate stops at Pearl Harbor, Eniwetok, and Ulithi before reaching Leyte on 30 June. On 9 July, the ship proceeded to Guadalcanal to transport Army troops to the Philippines. Following a fuel stop at Hollandia, New Guinea, on 17 July, she arrived at Leyte on 26 July. After disembarking most of her passengers, the ship moved on to Cebu on 29 July and the remaining contingent left the ship. Audubon paused at Samar on 2 August, then got underway to return to the United States.

At the time of the Japanese capitulation, Audubon was in the vicinity of Pearl Harbor. The transport pulled into San Francisco on 19 August and began a period of voyage repairs. Upon their completion, Audubon joined Operation "Magic-Carpet" and sailed on 31 August, headed for the Philippines. She arrived at Leyte on 18 September, then shifted to Samar on the 20th. While at Samar, Audubon developed mechanical problems which necessitated a period of drydocking. In early October, the ship was ordered back to California. On 22 October, she began an availability period at San Pedro.

Audubon sailed once again for the Philippines on 11 November. After negotiating heavy seas, the attack transport arrives at Manila on 1 December. Thirty-six hours later, she sailed wit! almost 2,000 passengers embarked and reached San Francisct on 20 December.

Audubon began 1946 making preparations for a trip to Yoko suka, Japan. However, just before she was due to leave, he; orders were cancelled; and she sailed on 11 January for the eas coast of the United States. She transited the Panama Canal 01 20 January and reached Norfolk, Va., on 27 January. The shij was decommissioned on 19 February 1946, returned to the Man time Commission on 13 March 1946, placed in the Nationa Defense Reserve Fleet, and laid up in the James River. She was sold on 9 April 1973 to the Union Minerals and Alloys Corp., o New York City, and scrapped.

Audubon earned one battle star for her World War II service




Published: Thu Mar 27 12:53:20 EDT 2014