Naval History and Heritage Command

Naval History and Heritage Command

Related Content
  • DANFS (Dictionary of American Fighting Ships)
  • Boats-Ships--Support Ships
Document Type
  • Ship History
Wars & Conflicts
  • World War II 1939-1945
File Formats
  • Image (gif, jpg, tiff)
Location of Archival Materials
  • NHHC




ATR-10 off Boston, 16 October 1944, painted in Measure 31, Design 16 AX, camouflage. The darkest color is dull black, the medium color Navy Blue (formula 5-N), the lightest color Haze Gray (5-H). All decks and horizontal surfaces were painted Deck Blue (20-B). Note how her identification number is rendered in low-contrast camouflage instead of white or black. (U.S. Navy Bureau of Ships Photograph, RG-19 LCM Box 176, National Archives and Records Administration, Still Pictures Branch, College Park, Md.)

(ATR-10: displacement 852; length 165'3"; beam 34'; draft 19'3"; speed 12.2 knots (trial); complement 52; armament 1 3-inch, 2 20-millimeter; class ATR-1)

The wooden-hulled rescue tug ATR-10 was laid down on 3 September 1943 at Boothbay Harbor, Maine, by Frank L. Sample, Jr., boat builder; launched on 20 July 1944; and accepted and commissioned at her building yard on 4 October 1944, Lt. Robert P. Griffing, Jr., D-V(G), USNR, in command.

Assigned initially to the Atlantic Fleet Service Force, ATR-10 compensated her compass (6 October 1944), then conducted exercises out of Boothbay Harbor the following day. Underway on 10 October, the new rescue tug sailed for Portland, Maine, arriving at Casco Bay later the same day, where she fueled. Clearing Casco Bay the next morning (11 October), ATR-10 stood in to President Roads, Boston Harbor, Mass., later that day, then moored alongside the Commonwealth Pier, East Boston, whence she shifted to the Boston Navy Yard proper, on the 12th.


Bureau of Ships drawing for the port side camouflage pattern applied to ATR-1-class rescue tugs (Measure 31, Design 16 AX). (U.S. Navy Bureau of Ships Photograph, RG-19 LCM Box 176, National Archives and Records Administration, Still Pictures Branch, College Park, Md.)

ATR-10 took departure from Boston on 18 October 1944, then transited the Cape Cod Canal, setting course for Norfolk, Va. During the first dog watch the following day [19 October], however, she reversed course and proceeded to the swept channel into Delaware Bay upon receiving word from Norfolk of an impending storm. Shortly before the mid-point of the mid watch [20 October], the tug moored alongside a dock at the Wilmington (Del.) Marine Terminal, lines doubled and tripled as a hurricane precaution.

Weather conditions permitting it, ATR-10 resumed her coastwise voyage on the morning of 22 October 1944, then carried out drills ranging from general quarters, fire, and abandon ship, for the rest of the day. Standing in to Hampton Roads at 0900 on the 23rd, the vessel moored alongside the fleet tug Bannock (ATF-81) at Pier 7, Naval Operating Base (NOB), Norfolk, where she soon received a visit from representatives of Commander Task Group (CTG) 23.8, who conducted an “on reporting” inspection of the newly arrived vessel, after which she fueled and provisioned.

Assisted by the Wood Towing Corp. tug Roanoke, ATR-10 got underway from NOB Norfolk to begin her shakedown training on 24 October 1944, evolutions that took place in the waters of Chesapeake Bay into November. During that time, among the work performed were towing drills with the auxiliary ocean tug ATA-214 (26 October), a full power trial (27 October) (after which she steamed as far as Annapolis, Md.), surface gunnery practice during which she fired 25 3-inch rounds with no casualties as well as antiaircraft practice, firing 120 rounds of 20-millimeter from each mount (31 October). After running several drills (1-2 November), ATR-10 wrapped up her shakedown and dropped anchor off Pier 7, NOB Norfolk, at 1521 on 2 November.

ATR-10 shifted to the Norfolk Navy Yard, Portsmouth, Va., the next afternoon [3 November 1944].  W. A. Shawn, the yard pilot having been brought out by the little harbor tug YTL-294, conned ATR-10 to her moorings at Pier 3, Berth 109, Norfolk Navy Yard’s St. Helena Annex, to begin post-shakedown availability. Upon completion of that period of work, the tug secured from receiving dock services and shifted her moorings [9 November], but upon reconnecting to yard water service, the fire main in the crew’s toilet ruptured due to faulty welding at 1850. Immediate repairs followed, but a little less than an hour later (1945), the crew discovered an electrical fire in the stowage compartment of the crew’s space. Again immediate repairs followed, a ruptured fire main having caused the damage. Following a dock trial (11 November), ATR-10 proceeded to sea and calibrated her radio direction finder before mooring alongside salvage vessel Escape (ARS-6) at Pier 4, NOB Norfolk.

Ultimately, ATR-10 cleared Norfolk on the morning of 14 November 1944, and set course for Baltimore, Md., dropping anchor off that port toward the end of the first watch. Transiting the Chesapeake-Delaware Canal (1107-1310) the next day [15 November] with E. I. Olsen, a pilot, at the conn for the passage, she stood into the waters off the Sun Shipbuilding & Dry Dock Corp., Chester, Pa., mooring alongside Pier 13 at 1632. There, she received Lt. Cmdr. H. F. Verden, USCG, on board at the end of the morning watch on 16 November to pilot her through the Delaware River. The tug got underway soon thereafter to make fast to her assigned tow, three car floats (YCF), then set course for the Advanced Base Depot, Davisville, R.I. She took her tow alongside during the second dog watch, Lt. Griffing having opted to drop anchor in view of pending bad weather, moving to the Ship John Shoal anchorage, in the Delaware River.

Initially ordered by the Cape Henlopen Guard Ship not to proceed to sea on the 17th, ATR-10 came right to keep clear of the channel, the after end of the port YCF accidentally extinguishing the light on Bell Buoy “C.” Given permission to proceed at 1433, Lt. Cmdr. Verden disembarking after having completed taking ATR-10 and her YCFs downriver, the tug put her executive officer and two sailors on board the car floats to pay out the towline, Lt. Griffing wanting to string the tow in tandem. Unfortunately, the worsening weather rendered that option impracticable, the ship launching her motor whaleboat to bring her three men back on board.

ATR-10 stood in to the Delaware River channel at 2200, but soon thereafter the center YCF broke free in the stormy conditions and began to drift. The Coast Guard tug Yankton retrieved the car float, while the Coast Guard tug Naugatuck and the old tug Allegheny (ATO-19) stood by to render assistance if needed. ATR-10 then retired to the Harbor of Refuge at Cape Henlopen to make up the tow again. At 1600 on 18 November, ATR-10 brought two of the YCFs alongside and remade the tow, with Yankton coming alongside with two 10-inch manila hawsers and spring lines the next morning (19 November), the Coast Guard tug bringing the third car float alongside later that same afternoon, with Bosn. Paul J. Duley and eight men initially embarked in the YCFs to ride them out to sea. Taking departure after she retrieved her crewmen, ATR-10 and her trio of yardcraft left inland waters as Allegheny and Yankton steamed off on other assigned duties.

The weather the next day (20 November 1944) worsened considerably, with ATR-10 “changing course continually to offset [the] sea.” That afternoon, ChMach. Bernard L. Mahar, the engineer officer, noted in the log: “Weather extremely bad. Wind of gale force. Sea rough and choppy.” That evening, Lt. (j.g.) Harvey L. Cosper, D-V(G), USNR, the executive officer, noted (2000-2400): “Holding bow into [the] sea.” Soon thereafter, ATR-8 hove into sight, “standing by to assist with our tow.” ATR-10 plowed on, the tow intact (20-21 November), and eventually entered the New York Swept Channel during the morning of the 21st, and entered Ambrose Channel that afternoon, with Lt. L. T. Earl, USCGR, taking the conn and piloting the tug into inland waters after which she dropped anchor near the Narrows Channel at 2250. Early in the mid watch on 23 November, another pilot, Lt. Cmdr. L. R. Coon, USCGR, then moved the vessel to the west side of the anchorage, where the Meseck Towing Co., tug William Meseck arrived to assist, the newly arrived vessel assisting in remaking the tow.

The tow having been remade “into [a] single tow from [the] original triple tandem” arrangement, ATR-10 awaited further orders from the Third Naval District Operations Office, with ATR-8 and the large harbor tug Penobscot (YTB-42) arriving to break up the tow, each taking one YCF to City Point, Long Island. Pilot J. B. Wills took ATR-10 to an anchorage in the East River below Newtown Creek on 23 November. Both ATR-8 and Penobscot returned and put the YCFs alongside to starboard that afternoon, and the following morning [24 November], ATR-10 and her trio of car floats resumed their trip to Davisville, with the pilot, Lt. Cmdr. Gray, USCG, taking the conn and bringing the little flotilla home early in the afternoon of 25 November, with tugs from the Advance Base Depot coming out to take charge of each of the YCFs. ATR-10 then fueled at the Melville Fuel Docks on 26 November, and received GSK and commissary stores. She shifted to Davisville the next morning, mooring outboard of three loaded car floats. The next afternoon, the tug and her crew began preparing the YCFs for towing, and ultimately, ATR-10 got underway shortly before the start of the forenoon watch (0755) on 29 November, with YCF-25 and YCF-34 along her starboard side, YCF-22 to port, and submarine chaser SC-1294 in company as escort. Less than an hour later, however, NOB Newport signaled by flashing light to proceed to Buoy 19, Coddington Cove, to avoid an apporoaching “nor’easter.” Accordingly, ATR-10 altered course and carried out her orders.

After fueling from the district oiler YO-67, ATR-10 resumed her voyage on 2 November 1944, SC-1274 escorting until relieved by SC-716 at 2215 that day, taking station astern of the last car float on the 4th. SC-1357 took over shepherding the little flock on the 7th, and reported a submarine contact at 1430. Further investigation, however, prompted the ships to stand down from general quarters, the contact proving false.

On the morning of 13 November 1944, ATR-10, with SC-1000 (which had relieved SC-1357 of those responsibilities) as escort and the big harbor tug Nesutan (YTB-338) standing by to render assistance as needed, dropped anchor off Miami Beach, Fla., then prepared to anchor her tows and proceed to a dock at the Naval Training Center, Miami. Discovering that a one-inch wire had fouled her screw, the tug cleared the line, then moored at 2004 to fuel.

Underway for the Canal Zone (C.Z.) during the dog watches, ATR-10 encountered engine trouble soon thereafter. ATA-183 proceeded to her assistance, with a Consolidated PBY Catalina flying boat coming out to inform her of the imminent arrival of help. ATA-183 took the rescue tug in tow at 2020 on 26 December. Ultimately, the little convoy reached Porto Bello harbor, Panama, with ATR-10 dropping anchor at 1326 on 28 December. Misfortune seemed to dog the vessel, however, as in the process of lowering her motor whaleboat soon after anchoring, the after davit carried away, dropping the boat about eight feet, its stern hitting the main deck cap rail. The crew managed to get the boat into the water, but it immediately flooded aft. Employing her boom, ATR-10 retrieved the boat and lowered it onto the fantail, where an inspection revealed two holes near its starboard quarter, and its shaft and propeller badly bent.

Early the next afternoon, on the 29th, yard craft from the naval base at Cristobal took charge of the three YCFs and pilots P.W. Duncan and W.E. Wall brought ATR-10 alongside Pier 17, Cristobal. The next day (30 December 1944), the ship shifted to Berth 15, Mount Hope Yard, C.Z., where she underwent voyage repairs during the first week of January 1945. During that time, on 4 January, the ship experienced a small electrical fire on her main deck, aft, at the salvage hold. The accident occurred when the ship’s movement, as the dock crane was engaged in shifting her berth, severed electrical leads, which workmen quickly repaired and restored power.

Moved alongside Pier 10, Cristobal, C.Z., by the tug Tavernilla on 6 January 1945, ATR-10 fueled there, and remained overnight. She got underway early the next morning (7 January), and embarked canal pilot P.W. Rubelli, who conned the ship during her transit of the Panama Canal. Entering the isthmian waterway at 0825, she entered the east lock at Gatun a little over an hour later. She accomplished that leg of the passage with the tank landing ship LST-850 and the large support landing craft LCS(L)-114, LCS(L)-115, and LCS(L)-119, then moved through the Pedro Miguel and Miraflores Locks. The rescue tug completed the transit of the Canal early in the first dog watch, dropped her pilot, and stood out into the Pacific Ocean, bound for San Diego, Calif., steaming independently.

ATR-10 reached her destination during the forenoon watch on 19 January 1945, entering San Diego’s swept channel shortly after 0915, and mooring alongside ATR-39 at the Naval Repair Base. Later that same day, she got underway for a test of her main engine to determine what work would be necessary. Following that period of work, the ship conducted post-repair trials on the morning of 30 January off San Diego, returning to the Repair Base and mooring to Pier 2, alongside the minesweeper Sheldrake (AM-62). She shifted to the Naval Supply Depot, San Diego, on the 31st, fueling from YO-130 while there (31 January-1 February).

Underway from San Francisco, Calif., during the forenoon watch on 1 February 1945, ATR-10 reached her destination on the 3rd, passing beneath of the center span of the Golden Gate Bridge at 0845. She anchored in San Francisco’s inner harbor at 0932, after which she shifted to a finger pier at Treasure Island later that day and fueled ship. She remained there for two days.

Designated as the senior ship of three-ship Task Unit (TU) 06.12.8, ATR-10 got underway for Pearl Harbor, Territory of Hawaii, during the first dog watch on 5 February 1945, sailing in company with the auxiliary tugs ATA-200 and ATA-186, each towing a pair of pontoon barges in tandem. By the end of the first watch that day, ATR-10 was steaming a half-mile astern and roughly between the last pontoon barges being towed by the two smaller tugs.

During the mid watch on 6 February 1945, ATR-10 slowed to a stop when a lube oil pump blew a gasket at 0232, an engine room casualty that took 25 minutes to fix. Resuming the voyage upon completion of the repairs, the ship again slowed to a stop a quarter of an hour into the afternoon watch when a boiler flooded, her “black gang” clearing the boiler in a little over 20 minutes, enabling the ship to increase speed to two-thirds. Later that day, in the mid-point of the first watch (2200), ATR-10 took station a half-mile astern of the formation, midway between the two columns.

The voyage continued over the ensuing days, with ATA-186 briefly experiencing a propulsion issue, coming to a stop for less than a quarter of an hour during the first dog watch on 9 February 1945. ATR-10 went alongside ATA-186 and picked repair parts to deliver to ATA-200 the following morning, completing the evolution inside of two hours. Twenty minutes before the end of the first dog watch, however, one of ATR-10’s men fainted in the crew’s head, experiencing excruciating pain during urination. PhM1c D. Wheeling, the rescue tug’s pharmacist’s mate (and de facto ship’s doctor), put the man (who had a history of hematura) to bed.

ATR-10 carried out gunnery practice on the morning of 15 February 1945, steaming four miles ahead of the formation to put targets over the side for the drill, then retrieving same after the shoot. That afternoon, she then put over targets for ATA-200 and ATA-186 to enable them to fire 20-millimeter practice. A steering casualty on board ATA-186 slowed progress for an hour and a half, but the passage to Oahu resumed after the auxiliary tug reported “ready to proceed.” ATR-10 carried out gunnery exercises at general quarters late the next morning (16 February).

ATA-186 reported a fire in her engine room following an explosion in her port main engine 30 minutes into the second dog watch on 17 February 1945. Her black gang, two of whom had received minor burns in the mishap, quelled the blaze. The smaller tug did not seek assistance from the senior vessel, reported the first extinguished within two minutes’ time. ATR-10 suffered a casualty of her own on the 23rd, when S1c W. C. Warren, V-6, USNR sustained vapor burns from caustic soda fumes while at work on the boat deck. PhM1c Wheeling immediately rendered first aid.

Arriving off Diamond Head on 24 February 1945, ATR-10 awaited instructions concerning entering the harbor, then upon receipt of them took ATA-186’s after pontoon barge in tow at 1345 and set course for the swept channel into Pearl Harbor.  Entering that waterway at 1655 with Lt. Piellusch at the conn and Lt. (j.g.) Cosper, the navigator, on the bridge, ATR-10 anchored at short stay in Middle Loch, in those waters allocated for barge moorings. The net-laying ship Ash (AN-7) moored alongside the barge and unshackled it, then assisted in ATR-10’s retrieving her towing hawser early in the mid watch on the 25th, enabling the rescue tug to weigh anchor and stand out to proceed to the salvage dock at Waipio Point, where she moored alongside the old fleet tug (ex-minesweeper) Kingfisher (ATO-135).

Hoisting in her motor whaleboat an hour before the end of the morning watch (0700) on 26 February 1945, ATR-10 shifted to the outer harbor in accordance with verbal orders of the Pacific Fleet’s Service Force operations officer. Arriving on station five minutes into the forenoon watch, the tug steered various courses at various speeds off Pearl’s swept channel until “relieved of ready duty by proper authority” at 1840. Returning to the salvage dock, ATR-10 moored alongside ATA-200 upon her arrival, remaining there only briefly until she shifted to the Pearl Harbor Navy Yard, mooring in Berth DE-2 early in the mid watch, mooring then alongside Coshecton (YTB-404).

The next morning [27 February 1945], ATR-10 shifted to berth B-8, mooring alongside PC-494, after which the tug secured her main power plant and boilers and assumed “cold iron” status for boiler maintenance. With the repairs accomplished by late on 3 March, ATR-10 fueled soon thereafter. Completing fueling during the mid watch on 4 March, the rescue tug stood out of Pearl at 0535 for Honolulu, mooring there shortly before the end of the morning watch (0758), securing alongside her tow (the loaded BCS-158, BCS-163 and Used Dump Scow No. 3), then sailing an hour into the forenoon watch, setting course for a rendezvous with convoy PD-323. That afternoon, ATR-10 took station with her charges in station 03 as vice commodore, setting course for Guam.

Used Dump Scow No. 3 broke away from the two other craft, however, during the mid watch (0215) on 6 March 1945, the watch reporting the loss to Lt. Piellusch and the commander of the task unit. The next week passed uneventfully as the convoy continued onward across the Pacific, raising Johnston Island early in the morning on 13 March. ATR-10 left the convoy an hour after the end of the mid watch to pass her tow to the large harbor tug Sabeata (YTB-287), but rough seas, however, hampered the process and prevented the evolution until 1100, with the rescue tug finally being able to stand up the channel to moor at the fuel dock to refuel to capacity. After taking on board 27,787 gallons of fuel oil (1400-2000), ATR-10 stood out the following morning [14 March], Sabeata succeeding in passing the tow to her after three attempts. She then remade the tow, transferred a 10-inch hawser to ATR-76 to deliver to the tug, and set course to search for the missing scow.

Obtaining a radar contact bearing 330°, eight miles distant, at 0340 on 16 March 1945, ATR-10 set course toward it, found it to be the lost scow (that had drifted with the current at a rate of 1.5 knots) at 0540, then awaited daylight to make the recovery. After staying in the vicinity of the craft, making preparations to retrieve it, at 1027, Lt. Piellusch, the commanding officer, “went over the side with a line attached,” and swam to the scow to attempt to secure a line to it. Unable to get atop the barge, he returned to the ship to be hauled on board at 1032. Ultimately, at 1500 CEM (AA)(T) Philip E. Shullo swam to the scow “and commenced operations for making [the] tow fast with [a] 7" manila hawser.” CEM Shullo ultimately returned on board at 1735, the tow having been made secure between 1552 and 1604 with 100 fathoms of 1.5-inch wire. With BCS-158 and BCS-163 still secured in tandem astern, the tug set course to overtake the convoy. Near the end of the first watch on the 18th, however, ATR-10 sighted two unidentified ships on her port beam, 15 miles away, at 2330, and went to general quarters. “All stations manned and ready” within five minutes, the little auxiliary remained at general quarters until the strangers steamed out of sight, standing down at 0025 on the 19th. On 1 April, ChMach. Mahar led a brief non-sectarian Easter service on board “for all hands desiring to attend.”

The following afternoon [2 April 1945], the submarine chaser SC-990 stood into visual signaling range and informed ATR-10 that she would escort the latter into Eniwetok. The next morning [3 April], ATR-10 and her three charges stood in toward the Deep Entrance channel, then entered the lagoon at 1225, the tug dropping anchor in Berth 280.  Her motor whaleboat made two trips to the covered lighter YF-85 for commissary stores the following day. The next morning [5 April] an Army tug held the scow while a Navy tug held the two loaded barges, permitting ATR-10 to go alongside the tanker Gemsbok (IX-117) to fuel that afternoon, while the tug’s motor whaleboat made two more trips to draw more commissary stores from YF-85.

Remaking the tow on the morning of 6 April 1945, ATR-10 took the small craft C-8291 alongside (0858-0944) when it brought out the Routing Officer from the Eniwetok Port Director’s Office. That afternoon at 1322 the tug and her three charges got underway for Guam, steering “various courses and speeds conforming to Atoll regulations,” then proceeding out the Deep Entrance Channel. A week into the voyage, on 13 April, ATR-10 “put ensign at half mast in respect of President Franklin D. Roosevelt,” who had died the previous day [12 April] at Warm Springs, Georgia.

ATR-10 reached Guam an hour into the forenoon watch on 15 April 1945, and received word to lie seven miles off Orote Point until the next morning, at which point she stood into the outer harbor area off Port Apra, and turned over the Used Dump Scow No.3 to the large harbor tug Sagaunash (YTB-288) during the forenoon watch (1005). She dropped anchor after her long voyage at 1231 in Berth 208, where she turned over the two loaded barges to other YTBs.

Reporting by despatch to Commander, Service Squadron Ten, for duty, ATR-10 then spent almost a month (17 April-10 May 1945) “cleaning boilers, obtaining voyage repairs, and awaiting orders,” spending part of that time (21-29 April) “cold-iron” alongside the floating dry dock ARD-27. She fueled from the tanker Manileno (IX-141) on 3 and 4 May, then from the U.S. merchant tanker Occidental (Socony-Vacuum Oil Co.) on the 10th. Skandawati (YTB-370) and YTL-428 stood alongside on forenoon watch and began helped make up the tow, first with the covered lighter YF-749, then with YF-750. Underway during the second dog watch on 11 May, ATR-10 took station “George 11” in convoy GOK-1, consisting of five tugs and their tows, towing YF-749 and YF-750. The convoy formed up into two columns, with minesweeper Prevail (AM-107) and high speed transport Roper (APD-20), the escorting ships, patrolling ahead. Four days later, during the forenoon watch, ATR-10 two-blocked her ensign, “terminating the 30-day mourning period” for the late President Roosevelt.

Upon reaching Nakagusuku Wan, Okinawa, on 22 May 1945, ATR-10 received orders from the escort commander in Prevail to proceed in independently. As the tug stood in “on various courses and speeds conforming to harbor channels,” with Lt. Piellusch at the conn, the infantry landing craft (rocket) LCI(R)-762 passed “hydrographic and SOPA [senior officer present afloat] instructions,” then stood out. Over the next four days (23-26 May), the rescue tug remained in the harbor, seven alerts occurring during that time, with antiaircraft fire shooting down one plane. No ships in the harbor received any damage during that period.

At 0532 on 27 May 1945, ATR-10 got underway with YF-750 in tow, and stood out of Nakagusuku Wan, motor minesweeper YMS-283, the escort, steaming in their wake. The auxiliary tugs ATA-200 and ATA-203 were to follow to make up a convoy. At 0737, however, the rescue tug received a radio alert: “Air attack probable.” About eight minutes later, a Japanese plane “appeared out of the clouds overhead” and straddled ATR-10 with four bombs, two falling on each side of the ship but not exploding. The enemy aircraft continued in the direction of the harbor where antiaircraft fire shot it down. Moments later, ATR-10 changed course shortly after seeing the high speed minesweeper Forrest (DMS-24) crashed by a kamikaze. Sailors on board the rescue tug prepared fire-fighting and salvage equipment for immediate use as the little ship closed, ATR-10 asking Forrest if she “required fire fighting assistance.” Receiving an affirmative reply, the tug, encountering difficulty with YF-750 trailing astern, asked the minesweeper if she could maneuver along ATR-10’s starboard side to facilitate assistance. Soon, however, Forrest’s sailors got the fires under control. When ATR-10 asked if her help was still needed, Forrest responded that the tug did not need to stand by.

Changing course to return to the harbor entrance, ATR-10 waited for ATA-200 and ATA-203, and at 1000 formed a convoy and set course for Kerama Retto. A little over three hours later, the two auxiliary tugs stood in to Kerama Retto, and at 1525, ATR-10 released her escort off Yellow Beach, Hagushi, and moored offshore to Buoy H-10 along with YF-750, assisted in the endeavor by Lt. Cmdr. B. A. Brown, USNR, pilot’s assistant. The rescue tug logged two air raids later that day, and although no ships in the harbor suffered any damage, “one (1) ship on the picket line was hit and her magazines exploded.” ATR-10 also logged radio warnings that “fire fighting ships in the neighborhood of the stricken ship were…not to approach because of exploding magazines.” While the burning ship did not require her assistance, ATR-10 remained in the harbor ready to provide it if required.

Proceeding to Kerama Retto the next morning [28 May 1945], ATR-10 reported to CTG 30.9/50.9 at 1015, anchoring in proximity to the destroyer tender Hamul (AD-20). She logged three air raid alerts during the day, but no attacks occurred on ships in the harbor. Originally directed to go alongside Elk (IX-115) to fuel, ATR-10 got underway for that purpose at 0655 ion the 29th, but before she even reached the tanker she received orders cancelling her replenishment and directing her to assist the large support landing craft LCS(L)(3)-88 “to assist in lifting weight to ARL 8 [landing craft repair ship Egeria]” at 0755. Five minutes later, new orders directed her to proceed to the destroyer Albert W. Grant (DD-649) and place her in ARD-22, which she did by 1020, after which she proceeded to complete her orders concerning Egeria, Lt. Piellusch conning her alongside the repair ship. A visual despatch from Commander Task Group 31.15/51.15 then directed her to proceed to Berth K-52 to pick up a barge for the oiler Cacapon (AO-52), but she experienced difficulties with her anchor windlass, preventing her from hoisting her anchor. Repairing the windlass later that afternoon enabled her to proceed to ARD-28 in Agora Ura to stand by the floating dry dock in view of approaching inclement weather, keeping her engine and boilers in stand-by condition throughout that night. The next day [30 May] brought orders to fuel from Elk, then she provisioned from the oiler Brazos (AO-4); she rounded out the month (31 May) provisioning and receiving diesel oil from LST(M)-575. Between 29 and 31 May, she logged six alerts, but no attacks on nearby ships, during that time.

Proceeding thence to Hagushi on 3 June 1945, the ship was assigned an anchorage station and received orders to go to the aid of any nearby ship that required fire-fighting or salvage assistance, in addition to carrying out regular towing operations. She spent the rest of the month “performing routine duties as assigned” (4-29 June), reporting to CTG 99.1 for duty on 30 June.

ATR-10 operated from Kerama Retto under the operational command of CTG 99.1 for the first half of July 1945 before proceeding to Buckner Bay [formerly Nakagusuku Wan, renamed in honor of the late Lt. Gen. Simon B. Buckner, USA, who was killed in action on 18 June] on 16 July to report to Commander Service Division (ComServDiv) 104. Three days later, as the larger ships, including the destroyer tender Hamul, the flagship, stood out of Buckner Bay in accordance with a typhoon warning, a Japanese plane, identified as “possibly an Oscar [Nakajima Ki.43, Army Type 1 Fighter Hayabusa] with its landing gear down” overflew the harbor about 1,000 yards astern, its approach undetected, hidden by the mountains until it was almost directly overhead. No air raid alert had heralded its arrival. Unfired-upon, it cleared the harbor. A second plane of the same type then came in moments later and crashed the destroyer Thatcher (DD-514) about 1,000 yards astern of ATR-10. The rescue tug lit off her second boiler and prepared her main engine to go to the crashed ship’s assistance, but the destroyer, with Boyd (DD-544) and high speed transport Pavlic (APD-70) coming alongside to assist, signaled that such help was not needed.

During the mid watch on 22 July 1945, while anchored on the scene of a salvage operation offshore, ATR-10 received orders at 0238 to proceed to the aid of Marathon (APA-200), that had been torpedoed inside the harbor. Finding other salvage vessels already rendering help, the rescue tug placed pumps in a commandeered landing craft [LCV(P)] and had them delivered to the damaged attack transport.  Several air raid alerts followed over the ensuing days, but ships in the harbor suffered no damage.

On 30 July 1945, ATR-10 got underway early in the morning watch and proceeded to the assistance of Cassin Young (DD-793), that had been crashed by a kamikaze. She reached the scene at 0515, finding the damaged destroyer proceeding toward the anchorage under her own steam. Although Cassin Young did not require salvage or fire-fighting assistance, ATR-10 followed, dropped anchor nearby, and sent and received radio messages for her. With Cassin Young’s commanding officer, executive officer and navigator all wounded, and her prospective commanding officer, killed, however, Lt. Piellusch, ATR-10’s commanding officer, conned Cassin Young alongside the destroyer tender Cascade (AD-16) so that repairs could begin.

In the capacity of salvage and rescue vessel and harbor tug, ATR-10 continued to operate from Buckner Bay into August 1945, noting on 10 August that “at approximately 2000 ships in the harbor commenced firing anti-aircraft guns and rockets. Anti-aircraft searchlights ashore were turned on. The radio became confused with conflicting reports on surrender by the Japanese.” A second air raid warning broadcast at 2123 seemed to restore order, and no attacks on shipping occurred on either occasion.

Such celebrations as occurred on the evening of the 10th proved premature, however, for at 2045 on 12 August 1945, an undetected Japanese plane torpedoed Pennsylvania (BB-38) as she lay in Berth L-93, Buckner Bay. The battleship assumed a slight list to starboard but a heavy trim by the stern. Anchored outside Buckner Bay, ATR-10 received orders at 2118 to go to the damaged warship’s assistance, and as she did so, she received an air raid alert at 2123. Standing toward Pennsylvania, she stood by to lend a hand if required, the battleship soon being tended-to by the fleet tug Menominee (ATF-73) and the salvage vessels Shackle (ARS-9) and Extricate (ARS-16).

At 1945 on 13 August 1945, ATR-10 sighted a plane circling the harbor showing a red side light, which dropped a bomb “on a ship bearing in the general direction of” LST-684, that lay grounded on a shoal outside of Buckner Bay, after which the aircraft extinguished its lights and flew off. Pennsylvania and nearby shore batteries fired on the intruder to no effect, after which an air raid alert was sounded at 1950.  Believing LST-684 to have been hit, Lt. Piellusch obtained permission for his ship to get underway and lend assistance. Waiting for the “all clear” and an LCVP (the rescue tug’s own boat being inoperative), ATR-10 blinkered a message to the tank landing ship, and received the reply that LST-684 had not, in fact, been attacked.

After a tour of temporary duty at Hagushi as salvage, rescue, and harbor tug (16-28 August 1945), ATR-10 returned to Buckner Bay where, on 1 September, she received the welcome news that the war in the Pacific was over. She continued to operate from Buckner Bay (1-23 September), after which point she sailed for Wakayama, Japan, on 24 September, in company with the U.S. Army inter-island freighter FS-13 and the U.S. freighter William R. Day. Arriving at her destination on 26 September, ATR-10 reported for duty with Commander, Amphibious Squadron (ComPhibRon) 8, standing by to assist tank landing ships in retracting from the beach.

Operating off Wakayama through 24 October 1945, ATR-10 got underway the following day in company with ATR-51 to rendezvous with TG 54.26.30 at the entrance of the swept channel off Nagoya, ATR-10 in the lead and ATR-51 trailing 1,000 yards astern. Meeting the task group at the end of the mid watch on 26 October, the ships proceeded in single file into Nagoya Ko. The rescue tug then proceeded into the inner harbor to assist transports to dock, duties that she performed into mid-November.

During that time, however, ATR-10’s length proved a “considerable handicap” when she maneuvered at close quarters, the features of her construction (her stem) making it impossible for her “to render effective assistance” and necessitating the used of mechanized landing craft (LCM) to provide “the necessary assistance.” Released from harbor work by ComServDiv 103 on 16 November 1945 as “unsuitable” for the task at hand, ATR-10 was retained in the “emergency standby” role pending the completion of minesweeping operations in those waters. On 21 November, she began an availability alongside the internal combustion engine repair ship Luzon (ARG-2) to permit her artificers to conduct repairs to the rescue tug’s anchor windlass, her forecastle railings, and a bridge wing, standing by at 12-hours’ notice to make the first required tow to Pearl Harbor.

Underway during the morning watch on 11 December 1945, ATR-10 proceeded to Yokkaichi, Japan, reporting to TF 52.8 for duty, relieving Serrano (ATF-112) as “rescue tug escort for guinea pig ships.” She escorted Marathon (APA-200) and Pratt Victory, following them, steaming in their wake during the evolutions to sweep Ise Wan channel. With her speed “insufficient to remain on station,” however, ATR-10 soon discovered that when the “guinea pig ships” reversed course when they came to the end of the channel, she “was approximately ten miles astern…” She escorted Marathon and Pratt Victory again on 12 December, getting underway at 0657, but, relieved by Serrano at 1345, returned to Nagoya’s inner harbor.  ATR-10 stood by for emergency operations, but resumed an auxiliary status on the morning of 20 December, and remained so, moored at buoy no.7, for the rest of 1945.

New Year’s Day 1946 found ATR-10 at Nagoya “awaiting orders.” Underway a little over an hour into the afternoon watch on 2 January, ATR-10 moored in a nest alongside the internal combustion engine repair ship (ex-submarine tender) Beaver (ARG-19), where she began what was to be a ten-day availability for boiler overhaul and minor repairs. Underway on 9 January, however, she fueled from the tanker (ex-“Q”ship) Big Horn (IX-207) in Nagoya’s inner harbor, then returned to buoy no.7, mooring alongside ATA-190

Underway at the start of the forenoon watch on 10 January 1946, ATR-10 set course for Leyte, anchoring off Tacloban a half hour into the first dog watch on the 17th to await further orders. The following afternoon, the ship sailed for Samar, anchoring off Manicani Island during the second dog watch. She entered Guiuan harbor the next morning [19 January] and shifted berths twice before the day was out, then again on the 20th, remaining there until the morning of 31 January, when she got underway in response to the despatch orders from the Port Director at Guiuan to assist in moving the floating dry dock YFD-21, accomplishing the task (0730-1442) before returning to her berth.

ATR-10 awaited orders to tow the non-self-propelled barracks ship APL-21 (ex-YF-632) to Pearl Harbor (1-2 February 1946), then got underway on the morning of the 3rd to put in to the Lipata anchorage, where she fueled alongside YO-162, then stood by APL-21, dropping anchor in San Pedro Bay, Samar, where she effected main engine repairs on the 4th. On the afternoon of the 5th, ATR-10 took on water from YW-125 and topped off her fuel from YO-183, then moored port side to APL-21, rigging towing cable and pendant for the voyage to Oahu.

Under orders from the Commander Naval Operating Base (CNOB) Leyte, ATR-10 got underway at 0654 on 6 February 1946 with APL-21 “in tow astern on 100 fathoms main tow cable. She then brought the auxiliary vessel to anchor near berth B-1, Guiuan, mooring alongside of her. The next afternoon [7 February], ATR-10 got underway from alongside her charge, then fueled from YO-162, topping off with Navy Standard fuel oil (NSFO). Later, she rigged more towing gear, remaining moored alongside APL-21 all the next day.

Pursuant to despatch orders from ComServDiv 103 and the Port Director, Samar, ATR-10, with APL-21 riding astern, sailed for Guam a little over a quarter of an hour into the afternoon watch on 9 February 1946. Two days later, however, a machinery derangement, and a consequent breakdown, forced the tug to put out a line to another barracks ship, APL-18, that comprised part of a group ATR-9 was towing toward Guiuan. Cast adrift with APL-21 still riding astern a little less than an hour into the second dog watch on the 11th, ATR-10 was taken in tow the next morning (0645) [12 February] by ATR-81 and towed back to Guiuan, dropping anchor at 1930 in berth A-68.

ATR-10 lay moored alongside of APL-21 for much of the next week, getting underway with the tow at short scope on 13 February 1946, then got underway for a trial run in Leyte Gulf on the 17th. The tug fueled from YO-162 again (20 February), after which she remained “moored as before” the following day. She got underway with the barracks ship in tow on 22 February at 1534, dropping anchor one mile southwest of Manicani Island, Samar, a little less than two hours later, for the night.

At 0655 on 23 February 1946, ATR-10, with APL-21 in tow in response to the ComServDiv 103 despatch and from a despatch the previous day from the Port Director, Samar, resumed her voyage toward Pearl Harbor, to proceed via Guam, Eniwetok, and Johnston Island. She and her charge steamed in company with ATR-81 (towing APL-8), the small coastal transport APc-2, and the district patrol vessel YP-415 (ex-Swell). The next day [2 March], slowed by heavy seas and high winds, ATR-10, her fuel consumption accordingly affected adversely, received a despatch from Commander, Marianas, to divert her course toward the Caroline Islands, to top off with fuel at Ulithi. She released APc-2 and YP-415 to proceed directly to Guam during the mid watch (0230) on the 3rd.

ATR-10 dropped anchor in berth 8, Ulithi Atoll, at 0904 on 4 March 1946, then suffered a power failure a little over four hours later, going into cold iron status, large amounts of sea water having seeped into a fuel oil line, as well as a flooded main condenser. She began taking corrective action immediately, then refueled from the escort vessel Whitehurst (DE-634), receiving 26,000 gallons of NSFO starting at 1731.

The following morning, 5 March 1946, ATR-10’s people lit fires under no.1 boiler at 0625, then reported regaining power 20 minutes later. Whitehurst got underway for Guam at 0650. Releasing ATR-81 and her tow to proceed independently to Port Apra at 1338, ATR-10 completed overhauling her main condenser as the afternoon watch ended [1600], then lit fires under no.2 boiler and “made all preparations for getting underway.”  She and her charge got underway at 1755, to proceed directly to Port Apra, which they reached without incident on the morning of the 8th, ATR-10 mooring APL-21 to a buoy at berth 306, and the tug tying up alongside the salvage vessel Anchor (ARS-13).

Following voyage repairs to her no.1 generator (9-23 March 1946), ATR-10 got underway on the morning of the 23rd, then fueled from YO-146. Taking APL-21 in tow at 1517, the rescue tug got underway again, setting course by the direct route to Eniwetok, a little less than one hour later. The next three days “steaming as before” gave no hint of what lay ahead.

ATR-10 began encountering “increasing seas and wind” on 27 March 1946, and a quarter of an hour into the first dog watch (1615), a wave ripped the starboard life raft from the rigging and carried it away, only its sea painter keeping it attached to the ship. The tug’s sailors recovered the raft after 45 minutes’ effort and secured it to the rigging. At 1800, the ship received a storm warning (despatch 270708) from Fleet Weather Command, Guam. One hour later, Lt. (j.g.) Davis, the commanding officer, ordered a change of course to avoid the center of the storm and “proceed in a navigable semicircle,” slowing to 2/3 speed “to ease [the] strain on [the] main engine [with the] screw continuously coming out of [the] water.”

The fury of the storm increased, however, and shortly after midnight [28 March 1946] the engine room watch reported that the evaporator condensate pump motor had been flooded out by salt water leakage from the main deck and the hull. She then suffered a steering casualty at 0230 on the 28th, forcing the ship to employ hand steering to bring her back on course, there being no way to determine the nature of the casualty with the fantail awash. Twenty minutes later (0250), the main engine froze, the towing cable having fouled the single screw when the rudder had picked up the wire and, with the motion of the ship in the heavy seas, threw it into the screw. Lt. (j.g.) Davis set the auxiliary watch in the engine room, securing one boiler. ATR-10 drifted with the storm. Three quarters of an hour into the forenoon watch, the main towing cable to APL-21 parted, with the barracks ship drifting, within minutes, “out of sight in near mountainous seas and high winds and heavy rain.” Ominously, ATR-10 rolled and pitched “very heavily to port with very sluggish return to [an] even keel.”

Observing the wind and sea, the gradual change of the ship’s drift, and the radar picture of a “solid circular bank of clouds 10 miles distant,” Lt. (j.g.) Davis could see the storm forcing his ship into the very center of the typhoon. By 1030, Davis decided that ATR-10 “would not live through” [the] storm in its center “unless she corrected her sluggish return to an even keel.” With life or death hanging in the balance and every roll possibly being the vessel’s last, the tug’s sailors turned-to, scrambling into action – jettisoning the 26-foot motor whaleboat, both of the 20-millimeter Oerlikons and their ammunition magazines, and emptying the topside ready lockers of all 3-inch/50 rounds, as well as all the loose gear in the navigator’s storeroom. One can sense the palpable relief of the ship’s war diarist when those desperate measures paid dividends: “Quicker recovery was noticeable at once.”

At 1055, less than 30 minutes after the realization that an immediate and drastic reduction in topside weight could save the ship, ATR-10’s black gang lit off her main engine in another attempt to free the screw from the towing cable. At noon, the wire was clear of the screw, and a little over a half hour later the tug’s sailors recovered the wire and pendant, the latter having parted six feet from where it had been spliced on the end toward APL-21. Her propulsion once more operating, ATR-10 crept ahead, underway to clear the storm track, her steering still difficult. At that point, there was no way of telling what damage, if any, had been wreaked by the storm on the rudder, screw, or shaft.

Dawn the following day [29 March 1946] saw ATR-10 “steaming to clear [the] area,” while her engineering force continued to try and “dry out and install [the] evaporator condensate motor.” The ship had water available for 12 hours’ steaming on one boiler. With a half hour remaining in the forenoon watch [1155], success crowned her engineers’ efforts with the installation of the evaporator condensate motor that enabled them to begin making boiler feed water. The tug then set course for Guam “at slow speed.” Commander, Marianas’ despatch 290845, however, on the 30th, changed ATR-10’s destination to Eniwetok, and in accordance thereto, she set course for that place instead.

While en route, ATR-10 sighted two ships eight miles away early in the afternoon watch on 2 April 1946, which investigation soon revealed to be the Japanese battleship Nagato–formerly the flagship of the Imperial Japanese Navy’s Combined Fleet–under tow of Clamp (ARS-33). ATR-10 stood in to Eniwetok Atoll at 1558 and steered various courses at various speeds awaiting a berthing assignment from the Port Director’s office that came at 1630. Although moored, however, the newly arrived vessel maintained a posture of readiness to get underway immediately because of the warning of a tidal wave [tsunami] originating in the Alaskan area. With the cancellation of that notice the next morning, ATR-10 secured her engine.

The tug remained at Eniwetok until 14 April 1946. During that time, Lt. (j.g.) Davis made two dives to inspect her screw, shaft, and rudder (6 April). Later that same day, the tug assisted the cargo vessel Albireo (AK-90) with a tow, then lent a hand to Pawnee (ATF-34) in maneuvering the barracks ship APL-34. ATR-10 then provided services to ATR-81, the latter having gone “cold iron” while awaiting completion of voyage repairs alongside the landing craft repair ship Atlas (ARL-7).

Underway for Kwajalein with YF-754 in tow alongside, having been assisted by two YTBs, ATR-10 cleared the atoll during the forenoon watch on 14 April 1946, joined by ATR-81 soon thereafter. Reaching her destination on the 17th, the tug anchored YF-754 where directed by the Port Director, then moored alongside her sister ship. After fueling from YO-107 on the 19th, ATR-10 stood out of Gea Passage, Kwajalein, passing the channel buoy at 1245, heading for Johnston Island. Receiving Commander, Marianas, orders to rendezvous with LST-922, that was towing LST-861, and “assist as required,” ATR-10 set course to intercept the tank landing ships accordingly.   

During the mid watch on 22 April 1946, ATR-10 encountered stormy weather that included winds that reached 45 knots and heavy overcast with “occasional heavy squalls.” At 0345, watch standers heard “a call for help” from the port side. Putting her helm left, the tug changed course to search those waters, slowed to one-thirds speed, and maneuvered in the vicinity of where the call for help had been heard. A thorough muster accounted for all hands, and a report to the bridge a quarter of an hour into the morning watch (0415) confirming that fact prompted ATR-10 to resume her original course.

Reaching her destination during the afternoon of 26 April 1946, ATR-10 picked up Cox. J. Shea, USNR, her pilot, and moored. She then fueled from the gasoline tanker Natchaug (AOG-43) into the second dog watch and remained moored alongside that vessel overnight, waiting for daylight to execute her original orders. Underway the following morning (27 April), ATR-10 took departure from Johnston Island at 1015. Less than an hour and a half later (1137), however, the tug changed course after having received a despatch from Commander, Marianas, diverting her to Kwajalein “to pick up previously assigned tow” of ATR-81. Soon thereafter, ten minutes into the afternoon watch, the engine room reported a “knock” in the main engine. Despite changing speed in an attempt to lessen the noise, it persisted, after which time the ship had to also contend with a mist that reduced visibility to 500 yards and necessitated the assignment of fog lookouts in the eyes of the ship for almost 30 minutes during the first watch.

At 1315, ATR-10 stopped her main engine to enable a sailor to enter the shaft alley to clean that compartment’s bilge pump so that it could take suction and de-water the space. The effort took three quarters of an hour, but when the man emerged from the shaft alley – bilge suction cleared – when the bridge ordered course and speed resumed to continue the voyage to Kwajalein, the main engine froze and defied efforts of the ship’s force to repair it. With the main engine secured, a man entered the crankcase and found it severely corroded. Ens. W. C. Truckenmiller, the engineer officer, recommended “that the engine not be turned over even if [the] ship’s force could free it, without inspection and correction by competent Navy Yard personnel…” Consequently, ATR-10 reported her predicament to Commander Service Force, Pacific, and awaited rescue, drifting at seven-tenths of a knot into the mid watch, employing her running lights and, in lieu of breakdown lights with which her type of vessel was not equipped, her aircraft warning lights. During the day, she hoisted the prescribed two black balls, Ens. Albert P. Everts, Jr., the communication officer, noting in the log, “indicating our predicament.”

“Underway with no way on and drifting as before,” ATR-10 moved at about one knot with the current. On 2 May 1946, Lt. (j.g.) Davis acted as safety officer for small arms practice conducted from the fantail. Under his supervision, the ship’s shooters expended 80 rounds of .30-caliber, 180 rounds of .45-caliber, and 400 rounds of .22-caliber ammunition. 

Ultimately, during the forenoon watch on 4 May 1946, a vessel appeared on the horizon seven miles away, and ATR-10’s watch standers recognized their rescuer as ATR-33, which passed a heaving line to the hobbled tug at high noon.  The ships reached Johnston Island on the 8th, where ATR-10’s ship’s force attempted, again unsuccessfully, “to place [the] engine in condition to operate. With her sister ship still without the capacity to steam independently, ATR-33 took  her in tow after transferring 200 gallons of diesel oil, 400 gallons of lube oil, and various food items. Underway during the first watch, the little ships stood toward the Hawaiian Islands.

In the waters south of Oahu, with the ship’s port, starboard and stern lights “burning with full brilliancy,” ATR-10’s engineers lit off her main engine a half hour after the end of the mid watch on 13 May 1946, and saw their persistence and pluck rewarded when their ship surged slowly ahead at 0505, making 3.5 knots on her own. Slipping the towing pendant at 0605, ATR-10 proceeded independently, standing into Pearl Harbor’s main shipping channel, and moored alongside Chilula (ATF-115) at the Waipio Salvage Pier as directed by Commander Naval Base, Pearl Harbor. Shifting to the Repair Basin, Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard, ATR-10 underwent voyage repairs and received onward routing to the west coast of the U.S. Assisted from Berth 15 of the Repair Basin by Smohalla (YTB-371), ATR-10 departed Pearl under her own power, standing out shortly before the end of the morning watch on 18 May. ATR-33 took her sister in tow soon thereafter, bound for San Francisco.

ATR-10, under tow of ATR-33, passed the Farallon Islands seven miles off the port beam, three-quarters of an hour into the mid watch on 30 May 1946. Casting off at 0715, ATR-10 made the approach to San Francisco Harbor, then steamed at various courses and various speeds to conform to the main shipping channel, passing beneath the Golden Gate Bridge at 0852.  As Ens. Everts, who had served in the ship since 29 October 1945, noted in the log: “0953 Moored starboard side to USS ATR-84 at Berth A-2 Pier Treasure Island, San Francisco, U.S.A.”

Shifting berths on 31 May 1946, assisted by Nawona (YTB-261) to a berth alongside ATR-84, ATR-10 took the motor minesweeper YMS-198 alongside to starboard. A few days later, the tug got underway again, Nawona removing YMS-198 then assisting ATR-10 to an anchorage where she transferred all of her ammunition to an LCM between 1231 and 1236 on 4 June before returning to berth alongside ATR-84. Nawona took ATR-10 to an anchorage on the 7th, where the tug took SC-716 alongside to port and provided services to YMS-198 to starboard. The nest gradually grew later that day, with LC(FF)-571, LC(S)-95 and SC-659 mooring alongside. Five days later, Natahki (YTB-398) shifted ATR-10 to another buoy at that anchorage, joining YP-415, YMS-303, LST-723, and YMS-658.  After being drydocked at the Bethlehem Steel Repair Yard, Alameda, Calif., (24-26 June), ATR-10, assisted by Hiamonee (YTB-513) shifted to Pier 14, Treasure Island, mooring alongside the motor gunboat PGM-30. Nawona transferred ATR-10 alongside Pier 14, Treasure Island, on 27 June, with PGM-30 remaining alongside. There, an inspection team under a Lt. (j.g.) Card, on 18 July, found the ship in satisfactory condition. Ch.Bosn. Duley noted: “ship to be decommissioned within 24 hours.”

Ultimately, ATR-10 was decommissioned alongside Pier 14, Treasure Island, on 19 July 1946, with Ch.Bosn. Duley, a plank owner, writing the final log entry: “AND THE ‘MIGHTY 10’ IS OFF FOR THE ‘GRAVEYARD’.” Regarded as not essential to the defense of the U.S. on 6 March 1947, ATR-10 was considered surplus on 7 March 1947 and made available for disposal.

Stricken from the Navy Register on 14 March 1947, ex-ATR-10 was laid up in reserve at Suisun Bay, Calif., on 31 March 1948. Accepted by the Maritime Commission from the Navy on 4 August 1948, the vessel was simultaneously delivered to the Gardiner Manufacturing Co., her purchaser, at the U.S. Naval Magazine, Port Chicago, Calif., that same day.

ATR-10 was awarded one battle star for her World War II service in the assault on, and occupation of, Okinawa Gunto (13 May-30 June 1945).

Commanding Officers                                  Date Assumed Command

Lt. Robert P. Griffing, Jr., D-V(G), USNR          4 October 1944  

Lt. Paul E. Piellusch, D-V(G), USNR                 26 November 1944  

Lt. (j.g.) Charles H. Davis                                  13 December 1945  


Robert J. Cressman

21 April 2020





Published: Fri May 01 07:24:57 EDT 2020