In Norse mythology, the god who presides over stormy seas.
(AS-23: dp. 16,500; 1. 492'; b. 69'6"; dr. 27'; s. 18.4 k.; cpl. 1,460; a. 1 5", 4 3", 4 40mm., 20 20mm.; cl. Aegir; T. C3-S-A2)
Aegir (AS-23) was laid down on 31 March 1943 under a Maritime Commission contract (M.C. Hull 856) by Ingalls Shipbuilding Co., Pascagoula, Miss.; launched on 15 September 1943; sponsored by Mrs. James A. Sweeney; acquired by the Navy and placed in temporary commission on 20 November 1943 for passage to her conversion yard; turned over to the Todd Shipyards Corp., Brooklyn, N.Y., for conversion to a submarine tender on 3 December 1943 and simultaneously decommissioned; and placed in full commission at Brooklyn on 8 September 1944, Cmdr. A. L. Prosser in command.
In early October 1944, Aegir reported to New London, Conn., for shakedown. On 23 October, the tender got underway for Pearl Harbor via the Panama Canal and San Diego, Calif. She reached Hawaii on 18 November and was assigned to Submarine Squadron (SubRon) 24. Aegir traveled to Midway later that month. She remained stationed at that island until 1 September 1945. During this period, Aegir furnished refitting and tender services to the submarines of SubRon 24.
Aegir returned to the west coast of the United States on 11 September and was moored at the Mare Island Naval Shipyard. There, she furnished services to submarines awaiting decommissioning. Aegir was placed out of commission, in reserve, at Mare Island on 18 October 1946 and remained inactive until her name was struck from the Navy list on 1 June 1971. The ship was sold on 16 May 1972 to the National Metal & Steel Co., Terminal Island, Calif., and scrapped.