(Yacht: t. 147; 1. 141'; b. 15'6"; dr. 5'6" (aft); s. 17'/2 k.; cpl. 23)
Adroit (SP-248), a steam yacht built in 1907 at City Island, N.Y., by Robert Jacobs, was acquired by the Navy sometime late in 1917 from Mr. F. H. McAdoo of New York City. After she had begun fitting out under the direction of Lt. H. B. Peschau, NNV, Adroit was found to be highly unseaworthy and of extremely short cruising range. Consequently, she was never commissioned and was returned to her owner on 30 April 1918. Presumably, her name, which had appeared on the Navy list, was stricken from that list soon thereafter.
(AM-82: dp. 295; 1. 173'8"; b. 23'; dr. 6'6"; s. 16 k.; cpl. 65; a. 1 3", 1 40mm.; cl. Adroit)
The first Adroit (AM-82) was laid down on 31 July 1941 at Portland, Oreg., by the Commercial Iron Works; launched on 21 February 1942; and placed in commission on 28 July 1942, Lt. E. G. Benis in command.
Following her commissioning, the minesweeper moved to San Francisco, Calif., for final fitting out and shakedown training. She left the west coast on 23 November and shaped a course for Hawaii. Adroit reached Pearl Harbor on 6 December and spent two weeks undergoing voyage repairs. She set sail on the 21st for Noumea, New Caledonia. Upon her arrival there, the ship began operations with Destroyer Squadron 12 on antisubmarine patrols off Noumea.
In mid-April, Adroit sailed to Espiritu Santo to undergo repairs. The work was completed in June, and she got underway on the 18th with a convoy for Guadalcanal. On 2 July, the minesweeper headed back to Noumea and operated there until the 26th, escorting ships entering and leaving the harbor.
On the last day of July, Adroit arrived back at Guadalcanal and assumed station on a patrol screen. Her sound gear broke on 2 August, forcing her to anchor off Lunga Point until repairs could be made. The minesweeper got underway again on the 22d, headed for New Caledonia, made intermediate stops at Espiritu Santo and Efate, and reached Noumea on 10 September. She then resumed harbor escort duties.
In mid-October, Adroit sailed to Guadalcanal to join forces scheduled to invade the Treasury Islands. The vessel arrived off Bougainville on 26 October and began her prelanding sweeps. The assault began on the 27th and, during November, she escorted three more convoys from Guadalcanal to support the assault on the Treasury Islands.
Adroit began operations from Guadalcanal on 23 November as a "ready ship" on screening and convoy duty and on hunter/killer operations. In this role, she escorted convoys to Espiritu Santo and Efate, New Hebrides; Noumea, New Caledonia; Auckland, New Zealand; Tarawa, Gilbert Islands; and Manus, Admiralty Islands.
On 1 June 1944, the ship was reclassified as a submarine chaser and redesignated PC-1586 and her name, Adroit, was cancelled. In mid-December, she moved to Ulithi where she served as a harbor patrol vessel. On 28 March 1945, she left Ulithi and proceeded to Saipan, where she arrived four days later. During the rest of her wartime service, PC-1586 operated on escort duty between Saipan and Iwo Jima. She made three round-trip voyages between these islands before shaping a course for Pearl Harbor on 30 July.
PC-1586 reached Hawaiian waters on 15 August and remained in port for approximately two weeks before sailing on to the west coast. She touched at San Francisco on 15 September and began preparing for deactivation. PC-1586 was decommissioned on 14 December 1945, and her name was struck from the Navy list on 8 January 1946. She was transferred to the Maritime Commission on 18 March 1948 for disposal.
Adroit earned one battle star for her World War II service.