(ScStr: t. 585; cpl. 120; a. 3 r.)
CSS Chickamauga, originally the blockade runner Edith, was purchased by the Confederate Navy at Wilmington, N.C., in 1864. In September when she was nearly ready for sea the Confederate Army sought unsuccessfully to retain her at that place for use as a troop and supply transport. On 28 October 1864, she put to sea under Lt. J. Wilkinson, CSN, for a cruise north to the entrance of Long Island Sound, thence to St. Georges, Bermuda, for repairs and coal. She took several prizes before returning to Wilmington on 19 November.
During the bombardment of Fort Fisher, 24-25 December 1864, a portion of Chickamauga's crew served the guns at the fort. Although not immediately engaged in defense of Fort Fisher, the ship rendered further aid in transporting ammunition. She lent support to the fort when it was bombarded again on 15 January 1865.
After the evacuation of Wilmington, Chickamauga went up the Cape Fear River where she was sunk by the Confederates.