Established as VT-11 on 10 October 1942
Redesignated VA-12A on 15 November 1946
Redesignated VA-115 on 15 July 1948
VA-115 in an inactive status August 1967 to 1 January 1970. The squadron remained on the books and had a very limted number of personnel assigned during this timeframe. It was located at NAS Lemoore during this inactive period.
VA-115 reactivated on 1 January 1970
Redesignated VFA-115 on 30 September 1996
Insignia approved: 17 September 1956*
*The squadron continued to use its old insignia approved for VA-115. The squadron did not request a designation change to its banner following its redesignation to VFA-115.