Established as VA-36 on 1 July 1955
Redesignated VF-102 on 1 July 1955 (the same day it was established as VA-36)*
Insignia approved: 16 April 1985
*The same day VA-36 was established and redesignated VF-102 the existing VF-102 was redesignated VA-36. There is no connection between the former VF-102 which became VA-36 and the VF-102 which was designated from the newly established VA-36.