The intent of the Fleet History Team is to educate and support the U.S. Navy’s Fleet. The team of Naval Historians that will comprise this section focus on meeting the command’s moral and practical obligations to:
- Let those who serve today know that their sacrifice will always be remembered, honored, and valued.
- Use the Navy’s legacy of valor and sacrifice to inspire current and future generations of Navy combat leaders and team.
- Preserve and use hard-won historical experience (lessons learned) to better accomplish the Navy’s missions.
- Honor those fallen in battle or lost at sea by telling their story.
The Fleet History Team strives to build esprit-de-corps, foster combat unit cohesion and inspire our Sailors while also acting as the Navy’s institutional memory to support decision making related to Fleets, Sailors, and Ships.
The Fleet History Team of the Histories Branch provides a number of services to the fleet as well as to the general public:
- Ship Naming Support
- Ship Commissioning/Decommissioning
- Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships (DANFS)
- Fleet and Ship Histories
- Crew Education
- Training Activities
- Fleet Inquiries
- Speaking Engagements
Members of the Fleet History Team
- Dr. Anna Holloway - Team Leader
- Dr. John Sherwood
- Mr. Robert Cressman
- Mr. Christopher Martin
- Dr. Justin Blanton
- Ms. Lori Whitmire
- Dr. Jack Bandy
- Dr. Travis Moger
Featured Fleet History Support Publication: Ensuring the Lifeline to Victory: Antisubmarine Warfare, Convoys, and Allied Cooperation in European Waters During World War I by Christopher B. Havern, Sr.
This volume is available free in the following format: 508-compliant PDF (1.8 MB)