Photographed at the Royal Navy Yard, La Spezia, not too long before being launched on July 10, 1878. Note that the ship's short midships armor belt-550mm thick iron 45 meters long-was not yet installed at this time. Thick wooden backing supported the armor, explaining the very deep gap in the ships side that can be seen here. Note the submerged bow tube for whitehead torpedoes.
Naval History and Heritage Command