This Martin bomber "1-T-15" of torpedo squadron one (VT-1B) from USS LEXINGTON (CV-2), was attached to the battle fleet. It is coming in for a landing, presumably on LEXINGTON, with its tailhook down. The hook was designed to catch a lateral arresting wire, as is used now. The small anchor-shaped hooks on the short axle- like members projecting inboard from each main wheel were intended to snag some of a series of fore-and-aft wires and keep the plane from veering off the flight deck to either side after hooking the arresting wire. These fore-and-aft wires, fitted to LEXINGTON when she was first commissioned in 1927, were removed about 1929.
Naval History and Heritage Command