Russian warships: "Portraits of two Russian men of war"
Stipple engraving after Pocock, published in the "Naval Chronicle," October 1799, by Bunney and Gold, London. These Russian 64 gun ships are shown at anchor at Sheerness in 1796. The magazine commented with this plate: "The Russian ships differ little in their construction from ours: the stern is generally plain, and snug, without much carving; their masts are nearly at equal distances. Their ships are also easily known from the bowsprit's steeving much more than those of the English. In the Captain's barge, the Russian sailors row with short oars, two men on each thwart. Nothing can exceed the coarse fare with which they are contented;..."
Original in Navy Department Library.
Naval History and Heritage Command