The Navy Department Library
Seventeenth Naval District
The Seventeenth Naval District, headquartered at Kodiak (Temp. Adak), Alaska, was established on 15 April 1944. In 1945 the district consisted of the following geographic area: Alaska, including the Aleutian Islands. The Seventeenth Naval District was disestablished on 30 June 1971 and control was transferred to the Thirteenth Naval District.
|1944||RADM Francis E.M. Whiting||15 April 1944|
|1944||RADM Allan E. Smith (T)||12 August 1944|
|1944||RADM Ralph F. Wood||24 August 1944|
|1947-1949||RADM Alfred E. Montgomery||30 August 1947|
|1949-1950||RADM Frank D. Wagner||27 May 1949|
|1950-1951||RADM Clifton A. Sprague||26 May 1950|
|1951-1952||RADM Edgar A. Cruise||11 October 1951|
|1952-1954||RADM John Perry||9 August 1952|
|1954-1956||RADM Kenneth Craig||8 July 1954|
|1956-1958||RADM Ira E. Hobbs||26 October 1956|
|1958-1960||RADM Arnold W. McKechnie||13 January 1958|
|1960-1962||RADM Henry H. Caldwell||2 April 1960|
|1962-1964||RADM Fred E. Bakutis||30 March 1962|
|1964-1966||RADM Robert E. Riera||2 March 1964|
|1966-1969||RADM Donald M. White||April 1966|
|1969-1971||RADM Eugene G. Fairfax||July 1969|
Notes: RADM = Rear Admiral.
The administrative records of the Seventeenth Naval District are located in Record Group (RG) 181.2.15 at the National Archives and Records Administration’s Pacific Alaska Region facility at 654 West Third Avenue, Anchorage, Alaska 99501-2145, telephone 907-261-7820.
Published: Thu Mar 03 09:29:57 EST 2016