Signals for the use of the United States' Navy as adopted by order of the Navy Department, August 1813, Washington City, printed for the use of the Navy.
0. Truce; no hostilities while this flag is flying
1. FORM line of battle on starboard tack, as quick as possible.
2. Form line of battle on larboard tack, as quick as possible.
3. FOR CLOSE ACTION.
4. FOR CLOSER action.
5. BREAK the enemy's line.
6. BOARD the enemy.
7. UNEQUAL I am to the contest.
8. SINKING that this ship is.
9.ON FIRE that this ship is.
[scratched out] I DO NOT understand your signal. X
17. NORTH. 20. N.E. by N.
18. N. by E. 21. N.E.
19.N.N.E. 22.N.E. by E.
X This is a distinct signal; - The signal
for Zero is[ ] above.
This is page 7.