Naval History and Heritage Command

Naval History and Heritage Command

Related Content
  • Boats-Ships--Frigate
Document Type
  • Ship History
Wars & Conflicts
File Formats
Location of Archival Materials

Slater (DE-766)

(DE-766: dp. 1,240; l. 306'; b. 36'8"; dr. 8'9"; s. 21 k.; cpl. 216; a. 3 3", 8 40mm., 10 20mm., 8 dcp., 2 dct, 1 dcp. (hh.), 3 21" tt.; cl. Cannon)

Frank O. Slater, born in Fyffe, Ala., on 19 December 1920, enlisted in the United States Naval Reserve on 10 February 1942. Upon completion of basic training, Slater was transferred to the Receiving Station, Pearl Harbor, for reassignment. He served in San Francisco from 4 April 1942 to 12 November 1942 when he was killed in action at his battle station. Slater was posthumously awarded the Navy Cross for gallantry in action.

Slater (DE-766) was laid down on 9 March 1943 by the Tampa Shipbuilding Co., Tampa, Fla.; launched on 13 February 1944; sponsored by Mrs. James L. Slater; and commissioned on 1 May 1944, Lt. Comdr. M. J. Blancq in command.

Slater completed her shakedown cruise off Bermuda on 25 June and sailed to Boston for post-shakedown availability. She sailed for Key West, Fla., on 11 July, where she acted as a target ship for TBF squadrons and as a sonar school ship until departing for New York on 15 September. The escort moved to Portland, Me., for training and returned to New York on 3 October.

Slater escorted two convoys to England during the remaining months of 1944. From January 1945 to May, she escorted three convoys to Wales.

On 8 June, the escort sailed from New York for San Diego via Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, and Panama. She transited the canal on 28 June and arrived at San Diego on 6 July. Three days later, the ship sailed for Pearl Harbor. She was routed to the Philippine Islands, via Eniwetok, where she joined Task Unit (TU) 33.2.4 at Manila on 5 September and escorted it to Yokohama, Japan. She picked up another convoy there and returned to Manila on the 21st. During the remainder of the year, Slater escorted convoys to Japan; Biak, N.E.I.; and to the Caroline Islands. She operated in the Philippine Islands until 31 January 1946 when she sailed for the United States.

Slater arrived at San Pedro, Calif., on 24 February 1946 and received orders routing her to Norfolk, via the Canal Zone, for inactivation. She arrived there on 26 March and prepared for decommissioning. On 25 April 1946, she sailed for Green Cove Springs, Fla., for her final berthing place. However, she was towed to Charleston, S.C., on 13 February 1947 and, in May, back to Green Cove Springs, where she was placed in reserve, out of commission.

Slater was transferred to Greece on 1 March 1951 as Aetos (D-01) under the Military Defense Assistance Program. She was struck from the Navy list on 7 March 1951.

Published: Thu Apr 21 00:35:10 EDT 2016