(Mon.: t. 479; l. 170'; b. 50'; dph. 6'6"; dr. 5'; s. 9 mph (des.); cpl. 100; a. 2 11" D. sb.; cl. Marietta)
A river which rises in Richland County, Ohio, and flows west and then north for some 150 miles before emptying into Lake Erie at Sandusky.
Sandusky, a single-turreted river monitor, was launched in mid-January 1865 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by Joseph Tomlinson, Andrew Hartupee, and Samuel Morrow. She was not completed until 26 December 1865, and was accepted by the Navy on 25 April 1866. Never commissioned, she was renamed Minerva on 15 June 1869; but resumed the name Sandusky on 10 August 1869. The monitor was sold at Mound City, 111., on 17 April 1873 to David Campbell.
(PF-54: dp. 1,430; l. 303'11"; b. 37'6"; dr. 13'8"; s. 20 k.; cpl. 176; a. 3 3", 4 40mm., 2 dct, 8 dcp., 1 dcp. (hh.); cl. Tacoma; T. S2-S2-AQ1.)
Sandusky (PF-54), originally classified PG-162, was reclassified PF-54 on 15 April 1943; laid down on 8 July 1943 under Maritime Commission contract by Froemming Bros., Inc., Milwaukee, Wis.; launched on 5 October 1943; sponsored by Miss Mabel Apel; and commissioned on 18 April 1944 at New Orleans, Lt. Comdr. T. R. Sargent, III, USCG, in command.
After shakedown at Bermuda and overhaul at Philadelphia, Sandusky departed for the Pacific on 18 August 1944, escorting a convoy from New York to Finschhafen and Hollandia, New Guinea. After completing her long convoy voyage on 2 October, she proceeded to Morotai conducting antisubmarine patrols there for the rest of the month. From November 1944 through February 1945, she escorted convoys between Hollandia and Leyte in support of the troops occupying the Philippines. After escorting a convoy to Lingayen Gulf, she sailed from Leyte on 8 March 1945 for Seattle. Following overhaul, she proceeded to Alaska, arriving in Cold Bay on 15 June. She was decommissioned on 12 July 1945 and was transferred to the Soviet Union under Lend Lease the next day as EK-10.
Sandusky was returned to United States custody on 15 October 1949; and, after a period in reserve, was loaned to Japan on 26 February 1953 as Nire. She was struck from the Navy list on 1 December 1961 and was transferred outright to Japan on 28 August 1962. She was returned to the United States on 31 March 1970 for disposal.
Sandusky earned two battle stars for her World War II service.