(SS-131: dp. 854 (surf.), 1,062 (subm.); l. 219'3"; b. 20'8"; dr. 15'11"; s. 14.5 k. (surf.), 11 k. (subm.); cpl. 42; a. 4 21" tt., 1 4"; cl. S-1)
S-26 (SS-131) was laid down on 7 November 1919 by the Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corp., Quincy, Mass.; launched on 22 August 1922; sponsored by Mrs. Carlos Bean; and commissioned on 15 October 1923, Lt. Edmund W. Burrough in command.
Operating out of New London, Conn., from 1923 into 1925, S-26 visited St. Thomas and Trinidad from January into April 1924, and Hawaii from 27 April to 30 May 1925. Cruising from California ports, mainly Mare Island, San Diego, and San Pedro, S-26 visited Hawaii in the summers of 1927, 1928, 1929, and 1930. She also served in the Panama Canal area from March into May 1927, and in February 1929. Departing San Diego on 1 December 1930, she arrived at Pearl Harbor on the 12th. From then into 1938, S-26 served at Pearl Harbor. Sailing from there on 15 October 1938, she returned to New London on 25 March 1939. Entering a period of partial duty on 15 April that year, she resumed full duty on 1 July 1940.
Following duty at New London and hydrogen tests at Washington, D.C., S-26 sailed from New London on 10 December 1941, and arrived at Coco Solo, C.Z., on the 19th. Rammed by PC-460 at night in the Gulf of Panama, S-26 sank on 24 January 1942 with the loss of 46 men. Three men survived. Her hull was not salvaged.