LST-516 was laid down on 6 September 1943 at Seneca, III., by the Chicago Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 7 January 1944; sponsored by Mrs. R. R. Hansen; and commissioned on 31 January 1944, Lt. M. J. Miller in command.
During World War II, LST-516 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of Normandy in June 1944. On 28 February 1947, she was decommissioned and, as a result of hostilities in Korea, recommissioned on 22 September 1950. She served in the Korean War and took part in the following campaigns:
U.N. Summer-Fall Offensive-November 1951
Second Korean Winter-January and February 1952
Third Korean Winter-December 1952, January through April 1953
Korea, Summer 1953-June through July 1953
Immediately following the Korean War, she continued to serve in the Korean area until 20 September 1953. Following her Korean service, she returned to the United States. She was named Calaveras County (LST-516) after a county in California on 1 July 1955. On 21 December 1955, the ship was decommissioned and struck from the Navy list on 1 October 1958.
LST-516 received one battle star for World War II service and four battle stars for Korean service.