Skip to main content
Naval History and Heritage Command

Naval History and Heritage Command

Related Content
  • Boats-Ships--Frigate
Document Type
  • Ship History
Wars & Conflicts
File Formats
Location of Archival Materials

Jack Miller (DE-410)

(DE-410: dp. 1,350; l. 306'; b. 36'8"; dr. 13'4"; s. 24 k.; cpl. 222; a. 2 5", 4 40mm., 10 20mm., 2 dct, 8 dcp., 1 dcp. (h.h.), 3 21" tt.; cl. John C. Butler)

Jack Miller, born in Dallas, Tex., 2 April 1920, served in the Marine Corps Reserve as a Second Lieutenant from 19 May to 31 October 1941. Commissioned First Lieutenant, USMC, at Quantico, Va., 1 November 1941, he volunteered for "Carlson's Raiders" and went to the Pacific. On 3 December 1942, as commanding officer of a platoon which had the point at Guadalcanal, he daringly led a flank attack on a strong enemy combat patrol engaged by his battalion at the summit of the hill. Realizing the advance of his platoon was being held up by hostile machine gun fire, he dauntlessly led the assault on the Japanese gun position, acquiring wounds from which he died the following day. Lt. Miller was posthumously awarded the Navy Cross.

Jack Miller (DE-410) was launched 10 January 1944, by Brown Shipbuilding Co., Houston, Tex.; sponsored by Mrs. Henry S. Millr, mother of Lt. Miller; and commissioned 13 April 1944, Lt. Comdr. J. W. Whaley in command.

After shakedown along the East Coast and in the Gulf of Mexico, Jack Miller sailed from Norfolk 13 June, arriving Pearl Harbor 12 July via the Canal Zone and San Diego. After more intensive training out of Pearl Harbor, she departed 24 July screening a convoy to Eniwetok, where she arrived 2 August. The remainder of the month was spent on patrol and convoy duty. Jack Miller sailed from Eniwetok 2 September and, after escorting a convoy to Saipan, took up harbor patrol duty there. Antisubmarine patrols, convoy screening, and escort duty kept Jack Miller busy for the next 9 months. During this period she sank five mines.

In June and July, Jack Miller screened fueling groups in support of the Okinawa operation. After the war, she operated out of Japan before returning to San Diego 5 November 1945. Jack Miller remained at San Diego until decommissioning there 1 June 1946, and joining the Stockton Group, Pacific Reserve Fleet, where she remains.

Jack Miller received two battle stars for World War II service.

Published: Tue Apr 19 16:53:04 EDT 2016