(Tug: dp. 240; l. 110'; b. 20'6"; dr. 9'10"; s. 12 k.; cpl. 11)
A United States Coast Guard name retained.
Coast Guard tug Golden Gate, a harbor and customs tug operating in San Francisco Bay, was taken into the Navy under authority of an Act of Congress dated 28 January 1915, directing that in time of war the Coast Guard should operate as part of the Navy. Accordingly, Golden Gate was taken into the service 7 April 1917, already in commission, 1st Lieutenant C. C. McMillan, USCG, commanding.
Golden Gate continued to operate in San Francisco Bay, patrolling between Fort and Lima Points, until March 1918. From March to August 1918, she was engaged in transporting Armed Guard Details to merchant vessels in the bay, making photographs of ships in the harbor, and acting as dispatch and mail boat. 1 August Golden Gate returned to Harbor Entrance Patrol duty.
In December 1918, Golden Gate assumed the duty of removing Armed Guard details from ships in the area, and on 14 December she responded to a distress signal from SS Lehone, taking off all hands from the rapidly sinking ship. She had the honor of transporting officials to SS Tenyo to receive the Japanese peace delegation.
Golden Gate continued conveying men, supplies and dispatches in the area until detached and returned to the Coast Guard 15 February 1919.