(APA-148: dp. 6,720; l. 455'; b. 62'; dr. 24'; s. 17 k.; cpl. 536; a. 1 5"; cl. Haskell)
Counties in Tennessee and Texas.
Crockett (APA-148) was launched 28 November 1944 by Kaiser Co., Inc., Vancouver, Wash., under a Maritime Commission contract; sponsored by Mrs. L. D. Whitgrove, wife of Captain Whitgrove; acquired by the Navy 18 January 1945; and commissioned the same day, Commander J. R. Bagshaw, Jr., USNR, in command.
Departing San Diego 5 April 1945, Crockett discharged troops and cargo at Pearl Harbor from 12 to 27 April, then carried men of a construction battalion to Samar, arriving 17 May. Embarking Army troops, Crockett sailed by way of Ulithi for Okinawa where from 24 to 27 June she unloaded under air attack and embarked survivors of ships lost at Okinawa for transfer to San Francisco. After a short availability in the States (17-30 July), Crockett returned to transportduty in the Pacific, carrying passengers and cargo to Guam, and transporting soldiers from Manila to Aomori, Japan, for occupation duty. She was assigned to "Magic Carpet" duty, returning men eligible for discharge, and arrived at San Diego 21 October with her first group of veterans. Crockett returned from a second voyage to Okinawa on 8 December, sailed from Seattle 12 January 1946, and arrived at Norfolk 1 February. She was placed in commission, in reserve 5 June, and out of commission in reserve 15 October 1946. She was transferred to the Maritime Commission for disposal 1 October 1958.
Crockett received one battle star for service in World War II.