The first Bache, a Coast and Geodetic Survey cutter named for Alexander Dallas Bache, retained the name she carried at the time of her transfer to the Navy; Bache (DD-470) honored Cmdr. George Mifflin Bache. (see Bache II for full biography)
(Coast & Geodetic Survey Cutter: displacement 472; length 163'0" (overall); beam 26'2"; draft 10'0" (mean); speed 10.5 knots (maximum); complement 63; armament 2 3-pounders, 1 Y-gun)
The single-screw, wooden-hulled Coast & Geodetic Survey cutter Bache was transferred to the U.S. Navy and commissioned on 24 September 1917,. She served with the section patrol in the Fifth Naval District, operating out of Norfolk, Virginia, until the end of the Great War, performing patrol duties between 5 May and 11 November 1918.
On 21 June 1919, Bache was returned to the custody of the Coast & Geodetic Survey.
Updated, Robert J. Cressman
3 November 2021