Originally assigned the name Avenge on 17 May 1941, AMc-65 was renamed Assertive (q.v.) on 23 May 1941.
A general word classification.
(AMc-66: displacement 195; length 97'; beam 22'; draft 9'; speed 10 knots; complement 19; armament 2 .50-caliber machine guns; class Accentor)
Bulwark (AMc-66) was laid down on 8 May 1941 at South Bristol, Maine, by the Bristol Yacht Building Co.; renamed Avenge on 17 May 1941; launched on 14 February 1942; sponsored by Mrs. William A. Parker; and placed in service at the Boston Navy Yard on 2 April 1942.
Following fitting out at Boston, Avenge sailed for Hampton Roads and arrived at Yorktown, Va., on 23 April 1942 for training at the Mine Warfare School. Upon completion of the training, Avenge reported to the Sixth Naval District, Charleston, S.C., for duty.
Avenge served at Charleston for the duration of her career. On 14 December 1945, the ship was placed out of service and laid up in the Wando River. Her name was stricken from the Naval Register on 8 January 1946, and the ship was turned over to the Maritime Commission for disposal on 8 August. She was subsequently sold to the United Fisheries Co., Gloucester, Mass.