Naval History and Heritage Command

Naval History and Heritage Command

Related Content
Topic
  • Boats-Ships--Support Ships
Document Type
  • Ship History
Wars & Conflicts
File Formats
  • Image (gif, jpg, tiff)
Location of Archival Materials

Ardent III (MCM-12)

1994–

Historic ship name; this is the third ship to bear this name. The first (SP-680), a fishing steamer built in 1902 by the Greenport Basin and Construction Co., was purchased by the Navy on 11 June 1917 from Raymond J. Anderson, Newport, R.I.; and commissioned on 15 August 1917. She was fitted out as a minesweeper and assigned to the Mining Force, 2d Naval District. She carried out minesweeping duties and tended nets in the Newport, R. I., and Block Island sections throughout the remainder of World War I. In 1919, the ship was stationed at the submarine base in New London, Conn, where she became involved in torpedo work and worked at that task until early 1921, when she was decommissioned. The ship was sold on 16 May 1921 to Mr. Wigo Rasmussen, Brooklyn, N.Y.

The second (AM-340) was originally laid down as Buffalo (BAM-8), for the Royal Navy on 20 February 1943 at Alameda, Calif., by the General Engineering & Drydock Co.; rescheduled for delivery to the United States Navy; renamed Ardent and re-designated AM-340 on 24 May 1943; launched on 22 June 1943. Ardent earned four battle stars for her World War II service. Placed out of commission, in reserve, on 30 January 1947, Ardent was berthed with the San Diego group of the Pacific Reserve Fleet. While she was in reserve, the ship's designation was changed to MSF-340 on 7 February 1955. Struck from the Navy List on 1 July 1972, the ship was subsequently sold to the government of Mexico on 19 September 1972. She later served in the Mexican Navy as Ignacio de la Llave (G-08).

III

(MCM-12 displacement 1,287 (light), 1,400 (full); length 224'; beam 39'; draft 13'; speed 13.5 knots; complement 84; armament 2 M2HB .50 caliber machine guns; 2 M60, 7.62mm machine guns and 2 Mk19 grenade launchers; class Avenger)

The third Ardent (MCM-12) was laid down on 22 October 1990 at Sturgeon Bay, Wisc. by Peterson Builders; launched on 16 November 1991; sponsored by Mrs. Sue Ann Mashak Thompson, wife of Tommy G. Thompson, Governor of Wisconsin; and commissioned on 18 February 1994, Lt. Cmdr. John T. Ririe in command.

Ardent- Coat of Arms

Coat of Arms

Ardent’s coat of arms was designed by a plankowner, a member of her first crew. The blue and gold of the outer border are colors that are traditionally synonymous with the United States Navy. The two gold stars represent the two previous United States naval ships that proudly bore the name Ardent. The shield signifies protection provided to the fleet, while the broken mine depicts the mine countermeasures mission of the ship. The shield contains our nation’s colors of red, white and blue representing patriotism and allegiance to country.

The flames behind the shield signify the fire and zeal the crew possesses. The four red stars above the ships silhouette commemorate the four battle stars awarded to the second Ardent for her distinguished service in the Pacific theater during World War II. The crossed swords behind the shield, one gold and one silver, symbolize the teamwork and cooperation which exist between the officer and enlisted communities.

Motto

“IGNEUS ET FERVENS” – “Fiery and Fervent”

The ship forward deployed to the Persian Gulf in March 1996. She was transported to the Gulf via commercial heavy-lift vessel Sea Swift in order to prolong the engine life of the ship and reduce her transit time from 60 days (under her own power) to 30 days. The crew was flown from Ingleside to join the ship in late March.

Ardent- at Camp Patriot with HMS Sandown-8Mar2003-030308-N-1050K-007
British minehunter Sandown (M-110) (left) and Ardent stand together at Camp Patriot, Kuwait, prior to the launch of Operation Iraqi Freedom. The two are pulled alongside one another for fuel intake and to allow their crews a few hours break, 8 March 2003. (Journalist 1st Class Joseph Krypel, U.S. Navy Photograph 030308-N-1050K-007, Navy.mil Photos).
Ardent- Persian Gulf-19July2005-050719-N-5526M-012
Ardent carries out Surface Action Group operations during exercise Nautical Union, 19 July 2005. (Photographer's Mate 1st class Robert R. McRill U.S. Navy Photograph 050719-N-5526M-012, Navy.mil Photos).
Ardent- with Saipan in Persian Gulf- 19Sep2006-060919-N-2651J-022
Amphibious assault ship Saipan (LHA-2) and Ardent (foreground) conduct mine sweeping operations in the Persian Gulf, 19 September 2006. (Mass Communication Specialist 3rd Class Gary L. Johnson III, U.S. Navy Photograph 060919-N-2651J-022).
Ardent- Mine Neutralization Vehicle-1Dec2006-061201-N-5555T-003
One of the Navy's Mine Neutralization Vehicles (MNV) is lowered from Ardent, 1 December 2006. The MNV's mission is to seek and destroy mines (Mass Communication Specialist 2nd Class Justin K. Thomas, U.S. Navy Photograph 061201-N-5555T-003, Navy.mil Photos).
Ardent-.50 cal live fire- 24Sep2010-100924-N-0413B-154
Sailors on board Ardent participate in a .50-caliber machine gun live-fire exercise while underway supporting a Combined Task Force (CTF) 56.1 mine sweeping exercise, 24 September 2010. (Mass Communication Specialist 1st Class Anderson Bomjardim, U.S. Navy Photograph 100924-N-0413B-154, Navy.mil Photos).

From 20-24 March 2011 Commander, Task Force 52 ships participated in a mine countermeasures exercise with Standing NATO Mine Countermeasures Group 2 (SNMCMG 2) and French forces in the Arabian Gulf. Ardent and Scout (MCM-8), along with British fleet auxiliary landing ship dock Lyme Bay (L.3007) and mine countermeasures ships Pembroke (M.107) and Middleton (M.34), all assigned to CTF 52, participated alongside French mine countermeasures ship Croix de Sud (M.646) and command replenishment ship Var (A.608) as well as the ships of SNMCMG 2 -- Greek frigate Spetsai (F.453), and German minehunter Herten (M.1099), Greek Kallisto (M.63), Spanish Tajo (M.36), and Italian Viareggio (M.5559). The five-day exercise increased tactical and technical proficiency in operating as a multi-national effort. In addition to mine detection and neutralization training, the ships conducted gunnery exercises, underway replenishments, and operations with helicopters from Spetsai and Helicopter Mine Countermeasures Squadron 15 Detachment 2, assigned to CTF 52.

On 30 October 2013 Scout and fellow mine countermeasures ship Ardent returned to Naval Station San Diego on board heavy lift vessel Eide Transporter after being forward deployed to the Fifth Fleet area of responsibility.

Ardent- returning to San Diego-30Oct2013-131030-N-IZ292-236
Ardent returns to Naval Base San Diego, 30 October 2013. (Mass Communication Specialist 1st Class Felicito Rustique, U.S. Navy Photograph 131030-N-IZ292-236, Navy.mil Photos).

Detailed history pending.

Christopher B. Havern Sr.

10 November 2015

Published: Thu Feb 11 11:02:42 EST 2016