Bombardment of Fort McHenry, September 1814
On 13 September 1814, the bomb ships HMS METEOR, Captain Samuel Roberts, HMS ETNA, Captain Richard Kenah, HMS TERROR, Captain John Sheridan, HMS VOLCANO, Captain David Price, HMS DEVASTATION, Captain Thomas Alexander, came to anchor in a position from which they could act upon Fort McHenry, the star fort, and batteries defending Baltimore. The frigates, 40-gun HMS SEVERN, Captain Joseph Nourse, 36-gun HMS EURYALUS, Captain Charles Napier and 36-gun HMS HEBRUS, Captain Edward Palmer. By daylight, the bombardment commenced and was returned by the forts. At 3pm, the four bomb ships stood further in. The forts which had discontinued, the vessels being out of range, now recommenced a brisk cannonade but which, although persevered in for some hours, did not injure a man on board or any of the vessels. Two of the bombs were only slightly struck. The firing continued all day but with very little effect, on account of the distance.