At the Columbian Iron Works, Baltimore, Maryland, circa the late 1890s, probably at the time of her completion. Plunger was built under Navy contract with the Holland Torpedo Boat Company and ran dock trials, but never submerged. Not accepted for Naval service, she was retained by the contractor and junked in 1917. Note the tall smokestack of this steam-powered submarine. Donation of Frank T. Cable, 1934. U.S. Naval History and Heritage Command Photograph.