U.S. Naval Air Stations: Washington, D.C.: Anacostia
U.S. Naval Air Station: Anacostia, Washington, D.C.
In October 1917, Secretary of War Newton D. Baker authorized the U.S. Navy to use part of the U.S. Army landing field at Anacostia, Washington, D.C. to erect and maintain a seaplane hangar. The station was established in January 1918 and provided a base for housing and repairing seaplanes on test flights from the Naval Air Station at Hampton Roads, Virginia, and the U.S. Army station at Langley Field, Virginia. Experiments were also conducted to measure the temperature and humidity of the upper atmosphere. The naval air station was active until 1962 when it became a support facility, currently in use by Marine Helicopter Squadron One (HMX-1).
Image: NH 89686: U.S. Naval Air Station, Anacostia, Washington, D.C. U.S. Naval History and Heritage Command Photograph.