USS Newport News (CA-148)
The Des Moines-class heavy cruiser, USS Newport News (CA-148) was commissioned on January 29, 1949, at Newport News Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Company, Newport News, Virginia. Deploying to the Mediterranean, she assisted nations in the region during political and natural emergencies. In June 1961, she was utilized as a sign of support to the Domincan Republic at time of unrest, which she would return to four years later. During the Cuban Missile Crisis in October 1962, Newport News participated in the Cuban Quarantine. Becoming the flagship of Commander, Cruiser Destroyer Flotilla Three in October 1967, she provided gunfire support off Vietnam until 1972. On October 1, 1972, an 8" gun in her number-two turret exploded, resulting in 19 men killed and 10 injured and the gun closed off. Decommissioned on June 27, 1975, Newport News was laid-up in the "mothball fleet" at Philadelphia Naval Shipyard, Pennsylvania, until sold for scrap in February 1993.
A model of Newport News can be found in the America's Wars in Vietnam section at the National Museum of the U.S. Navy (Cold War Gallery). Note, the model is on temporary display at the Hampton Roads Naval Museum.
Image: NH 106052: USS Newport News (CA-148), starboard view while underway, February 1, 1960. NHHC Photograph Collection.