In this section, you will find pre-visit materials for The Navy Museum's program Hats Off. The materials will introduce your students to the Navy by exploring the hats officers and enlisted personnel wear to work. Please take some time to go over this packet with your group before visiting the Museum.
This program is appropriate for grades 1-3 and was designed in accordance with local and national social studies standards. All materials may be reproduced.
To schedule a Hats Off tour for your group, contact the Education Department at 202-433-6826. We welcome all comments on our pre-visit materials.
- Students learn meaning and symbolism from clothing, particularly Navy uniforms.
- Students identify Navy personnel by their hats.
- Students learn about different jobs in the Navy and how ships serve as floating communities.
- After a hands-on look at sailor hats, students color and cut out their own hat at the Museum.
- Hat descriptions and drawings
- Hat ID activity