1. Diplomacy- the practice of conducting negotiations between nations.
2. Feudal State- a system of political organization in which a lord and his vassals hold land with tenants working the land and paying fees to the lord for protection.
3. Flagship- the ship that carries the commander of a fleet and flies his flag
4. Fleet- a number of warships under a single command
5. Isolationism- a policy of prohibiting alliances and other international political and economic relations with other countries.
6. Negotiate- to talk with one another so as to bring about an agreement or settlement.
7. Pacific Ocean- a body of water bordering the west coast of the Americas and the east coasts of Asia and Japan.
8. Port- a harbor town or city where ships may take on or unload cargo
9. Squadron- a group of ships gathered together for a specific purpose.
10. Treaty- a contract in writing between two or more political authorities.