OBJECTIVE: Students discover the effects of pressure on objects and humans at extreme ocean depths, and discuss how that affects submarine travel.
- Brainstorm with the class about what it's like to go to sea on a submarine.
- How would their lives at sea be different? the same?
- What would be the best part of living underwater? the worst?
- How long would they want to stay underwater?
- How do they think air/water pressure would affect them?
- Distribute Gray Lady Down activity sheet for students to read.
- Discuss the differences between the Thresher and Scorpion tragedies in small groups using the questions at the end of the activity sheet as a guide.
- Optional: Rent and watch Gray Lady Down with your class before doing this activity.
MUSEUM LINK: View the bathyscaph Trieste and learn more about Thresher during your visit to The Navy Museum.