Our popular LEGO event is back for the 9th year in a row at the Decker Half Moone Cruise and Celebration Center next door to us. The event is FREE and indoors, and is sure to please LEGO fans of all ages.
Decker Half Moone Cruise and Celebration Center (next door to us)
The Hampton Roads Naval Museum (HRNM) is proud to announce the 9th Annual Brick by Brick: Lego® Shipbuilding event on Saturday, February 1, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., at the Decker Half Moone Cruise and Celebration Center in downtown Norfolk. This FREE program invites LEGO® shipbuilders of all ages to build and share their creations with fellow enthusiasts and compete for fabulous prizes on one exciting day!
This popular signature event is presented in partnership with the Hampton Roads Naval Historical Foundation. Participants can build a variety of kits ranging from easy to expert, and participate in other activities, as well. Children and adults alike can also bring their pre-constructed LEGO® ships to enter in a contest prior to 2 p.m. on February 1st. There are two separate contests: one for those who make ships at HRNM, and one for those who built their ships at home. HRNM will award prizes for five age-based categories in each competition, along with the fan favorite, voted on by YOU! This free family event features:
- STEM-based design design pnas (easy to expert) to build ships from the keel up in our shipyard of 200+ dry docks. Please note that visitors cannot take home the LEGO ships built at one of our build stations;
- Hands-on robotics demonstration and professional LEGO display models;
- Free play areas for all ages (LEGOs and Duplos);
- A sensory (quieter space) room for alternative-needs children.
Parking for this event is via Cash on Entry (COE) at one of the nearby City of Norfolk parking garages the day of the event. City garages near the event are as follows:
- West Plume Street Garage: 135 West Plume St., Norfolk, VA 23510
- Town Point Garage: 110 West Main St., Norfolk, VA 23510
- Waterside Garage: 50 Martin's Lane, Norfolk, VA 23510
- Main Street Garage: 232 East Main St., Norfolk, VA 23510
Joining in the fun will be FIRST LEGO® League of Tidewater, Engineering for Kids of Hampton Roads and the Hampton Roads Lego User Group (HARDLUG)! For more information please contact Tom Dandes at Thomas.Dandes@navy.mil or at (757) 322-3106. To volunteer at this event, contact Darcy Sink at Darcy.Sink@navy.mil or at (757) 322-2992. Media inquiries can be directed to Max Lonzanida at Max.Q.Lonzanida@navy.mil or at (757) 322-2986.
9th Annual LEGO Brick by Brick Shipbuilding Event Flyer