Skip to main content
Naval History and Heritage Command

Naval History and Heritage Command

Related Content
Document Type
Wars & Conflicts
File Formats
Location of Archival Materials

Research Requests

The museum is staffed by a full-time Curator, and a Student Intern. We welcome research requests, but please keep in mind that we have other duties that need to be done. Our collection is small and we cannot guarantee that we will be able to yield the desired results of research requests. If we cannot assist you then we will suggest that you contact the Naval Historical Center or the National Archives for further assistance. 

If your research request involves naval aviation then we ask that you contact theNational Museum of Naval Aviation in Pensacola, FL or if your research request involves naval submarines then we ask that you contact the Submarine Force Museum in Groton, CT.

An appointment is required to conduct in-person research of an in-depth nature so that we may better serve you. You may also mail, phone, fax, or E-mail a research request.

We will be happy to assist you in the following Areas:

Research regarding a family member that was in the Navy and who went through boot camp at Great Lakes. We will be glad to provide you with a scanned copy, of a company or boot camp photo if we have that. Please keep in mind that we do not have a complete collection of company and boot camp photos.

Research regarding Department of Defense (DoD), United States Navy(USN), or personal projects. We ask that you fill us in on your project in its entirety before we begin our research so that we know exactly what we are looking for and can go over any copyright issues that need to be addressed. We also ask that you give credit to the museum.

Research regarding Naval history, Great Lakes History, and boot camp history.


Please note that the museum does not have service records, unit and ship histories, or USN accident reports. Military service records are kept at the National Archives, unit and ship histories can be obtained at the Naval Historical Center, and USN accident reports may be obtained from the Naval Safety Center in Norfolk, VA.

 How to submit research requests:

 Mail:                Great Lakes Naval Museum

                    P.O. Box 886307

                    Great Lakes, IL 60088-3607

 Phone:            (847) 688-3154

 Fax:             (847) 688-3169

 E-mail:            Museum Curator


The museum does not charge for research requests. However, we will charge you $5 to burn photographs to CD-ROM to cover the cost of the CD-ROM, CD-ROM mailer, and postage. We will waive the $5 CD-ROM burning fee if you are in the immediate area and prefer to bring in your own CD-ROM. If you require photocopies from books, manuals, or of documents then we will charge you 25¢ per page. Payment may be made in the form of a personal check or money order. Please make the check or money order out to the Great Lakes Naval Museum Association (GLNMA). Payments must be made before you receive your CD-ROM or photocopies.

The museum staff looks forward to your research request!

Published: Tue Jul 29 12:00:17 EDT 2014