(Armored- Cruiser No. 9: dp.- 13,680; l.- 503'H"; b. 69'7"; dr. 26'1"; s. 22 k.; cpl. 829; a. 4 8", 14 6", 18 3", 12 3-pdrs., 2 18" tt.; cl. Pennsylvania)
South Dakota (Armored-Cruiser No. 9)
South Dakota was admitted to the Union simultaneously with North Dakota as the 40th and 41st states on 2 November 1889.
The first South Dakota (Armored Cruiser No. 9), was launched on 21 July 1904 by the Union Iron Works, San Francisco, Calif.; sponsored by Miss Grace Harreid; and commissioned on 27 January 1908, Capt. James T. Smith in command.
Assigned to the Armored Cruiser Squadron, Pacific Fleet, South Dakota cruised off the west coast of the United States through August 1908. On 24 August, she departed San Francisco for a cruise to Samoa and headed eastward in September to operate in Central and South American waters. In the autumn of 1909, she deployed westward with the Armored Cruiser Squadron. The force called at ports in the Admiralty Islands; the Philippines; Japan; and China, before returning to Honolulu on 31 January 1910.
In February, South Dakota joined Tennessee to form a Special Service Squadron which cruised off the Atlantic coast of South America and then returned to the Pacific late in the year.
Following operations along the Pacific coast during much of 1911, South Dakota began a cruise in December with the Armored Cruiser Squadron which took her from California to the Hawaiian Islands, the Marianas, the Philippines, and Japan. After returning to the west coast in August 1912, she participated in periodic squadron exercises until she was placed in reserve on 30 December 1913 at the Puget Sound Navy Yard.
Detached from the Reserve Force, Pacific Fleet, on 17 April 1914, South Dakota made a cruise southward into Mexican waters in June and another westward to the Hawaiian Islands in August. She returned to Bremerton on 14 September and reverted to reserve status on 28 September. She was the flagship of the Reserve Force, Pacific Fleet, from 21 January 1915 until relieved by Milwaukee (Cruiser No. 21) on 5 February 1916. She remained in reduced commission through 1916; and, on 5 April 1917, she was again placed in full commission.
Transferred to the Atlantic after the United States entered World War I, South Dakota departed Bremerton on 12 April. She joined Pittsburg, Pueblo, and Frederick at Colon, Panama, on 29 May 1917; thence proceeded to the South Atlantic for patrol duty operating from Brazilian ports. On 2 November 1918, she escorted troop convoys from the east coast to the_ mid-Atlantic rendezvous point where British cruisers joined the convoy. Following the Armistice, South Dakota made two voyages from Brest, France, to New York, returning troops to the United States.
In the summer of 1919, South Dakota was ordered back to the Pacific to serve as flagship of the Asiatic Fleet, arriving at Manila on 27 October 1919. South Dakota was renamed Huron on 7 June 1920 and was designated CA-9 on 17 July 1920. She served in the Asiatic Fleet for the next seven years, operating in Philippine waters during the winter and out of Shanghai and Chefoo during the summer.
Ordered home, Huron departed Manila on the last day of 1926 and arrived at the Puget Sound Navy Yard on 3 March 1927. She was decommissioned on 17 June 1927 and remained in reserve until she was struck from the Navy list on 15 November 1929. She was sold on 11 February 1930 for scrapping in accordance with the provisions of the London Treaty for the limitation and reduction of naval armament.
South Dakota (BB-49) was laid down on 15 March 1920 by the New York Navy Yard. Although she was to be the name ship of a new class of six 43,200-ton battleships, her construction was suspended on 8 February 1922 in accordance with the provisions of the Washington Treaty limiting naval construction. Her unfinished hull, 38.5% completed, was sold on 25 October 1923 for scrapping on the slipway to Steel Scrap Corp. of Philadelphia, Pa.; and her name was struck from the Navy list on 10 November 1923. Her scrapping was reported completed on 15 November 1924.