(ScStr: t. 175; l. 114'; b. 18'; dr. 7'; s. 14 k.; a. 1 3-pdr., 3 1-pdrs., 2 mg.)
A river in southwest West Virginia formed by the confluence of the New and Gauley Rivers at Gauley Bridge, W.Va. The Kanawha empties into the Ohio River at Point Pleasant, W. Va.
The second Kanawha was built in 1896 by Charles L. Seabury & Co., Nyack on Hudson, N.Y.; purchased early in the Spanish-American War by the Navy from John P. Duncan 7 June 1898; and commissioned at New York Navy Yard 26 July, Lt. Frank F. Fletcher in command.
Kanawha steamed out of New York Harbor 5 August and touched Port Royal, S.C., and Key West, Fla., before arriving Gibara, Cuba, on the 21st She operated in Cuban waters supporting occupation forces until departing Gibara 12 September. After calling at Port Royal, Charleston, and Hampton Roads, she returned New York 29 September. She decommissioned 8 October and was loaned to the Rhode Island Naval Militia 12 December.
Kanawha was returned to the Navy 12 August 1899 and transferred to the War Department.
Kanawha (SP-169) was purchased by the Navy from H. C. Baxter of Brunswick, Maine 27 April 1917. She was found defective during fitting out and returned to her owner.